Simplified v Traditional Chinese

Can someone please explain the difference to me and which one I should get for my son who is 11mths old, I dont speak any Chinese.

i also know that that the chinese character has a meaning in the way they were designed. does any body know of any website that explain it???
thank you

Simplified Chinese characters are used in China and Singapore. Traditional - in Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macau. Plus Japanese characters are traditional Chinese characters. I am teaching my son simplified Chinese mainly because mainland China uses them

Thanks so much Jane, I think when I can I will go with the simplified method as well.

http://www.dragonwise.hku.hk/dragon2/schools/archives/stroke.php

click on the 7th button on the left, then click on the Chinese characters in blue on the main page to see how the chinese character was designed.

@Amelia, I am attempting to teach simplified chinese as you only need to know 2000 characters to be literate you need to know 8000 for traditional. That’s what i read on the internet whether that is true or not is another thing but 2000 characters is easier than 8000

Thanks Kim :slight_smile: Hope all is well with your two girls :slight_smile:

thank you reei

Karma to you too ;-D