Signing time

Hello parents,

I am begining to study and teach the main signs such as drink, more, milk and eat. Last year I bought two videos in amazon and I realized that more is different in both videos. There is a very funny video of signing and singing that it is very good, but more is different. In youtuve more is the most common sign. My question is can I use in some occasssssssssssssssionsssssssss different signs to take advantage of what I am collecting. Is it good for the baby?? In the web, I found flashcards but more is the normal sign, not the sign that I found in the video that I bought. I suppose many of you know it, anyway here you have the link http://www.babysignlanguage.com/flash-cards/f/fish/

I think i am going to print the most important signs and put them in the fridge to remember them better. My LO loves letters e dancing around the house. I put stickers in the rooms and she is always looking up… Fortunately, I have not many guests…

Are they all derived from ASL?

If yes, they can differ a little bit sometimes depending on the brand. I chose to use ASL and DVDs Baby Signing Time. The resource for my son is me and my wife and those DVDs so he gets always the same sign.

I couldn’t say if it would be good to vary but in speech language this happens all time… two or three words for the same thing, even in a single language.

Hi Mario,

I have no idea. I would have to find it. ASL, i don´t remember its meaning… sorry, i have to learn a lot, American Signs, I think.

Sight language varies in different countries, just as languages do. ASL is American Sign Language, Baby Signing Time uses ASL.

There are some products that using a “made up” baby language, which are simply a collection of signs they decided to use for certain words and actions, so those would not be that useful…

There is no problem in using different signs for the same word. It is the same as using a different word for the same meaning in any other language. We typically use the same signs for each word in our own home, however, my mother-in-law also signs and she uses a different sign for the same word on occasion. I have no problem with this

Signing time uses a modified ASL (American sign language). It is often just called baby signs, or simplified or modified ASL when being used with infants and toddler. Most of the signs are the same as ASL. But some words, such as dog, are simplified.

I don’t use all the proper signs. I learnt AUSLAN (which is the Australian, New Zealand Variant of sign language) before I leant any modified ASL.

We used our own sign made up sign for nursing because we didn’t feel that milk, nurse or breast eat worked for us. We sign both “all done” and “no” differently too. The signs worked for us and their meanings are clear.

Thank you for your answers,

Finally, I am going to use all the signs that are on video. I have copied the words and I have found a web where the signs are reflected. However, I always remember the sign more of ASL. It is true, we find an object with different objects. It doesn´t mind if I use, sometimes a concept with two signs.

Thank you.