Sign supported english

Has anyone heard of ‘Sign supported English’?

Up until now I thought I was teaching my hearing toddler “Sign Language” or “Baby Sign Language” but after a bit more digging around I realise that technically we are doing sign supported English with my hearing toddler.

So what is the difference

Sign Language is:
• a visual-gestural language
• the language of the Deaf community
• a language separate from English, capable of great subtlety in a visual mode
• a different structure from English
• unable to be used correctly simultaneously with voiced English

Sign supported English (SSE) is:
• a combination of SL and voiced English
• signed in English word order
• borrows signs from SL
• signs words with the most meaning in a sentence

I got the above comparison from : http://www.vanasch.school.nz/nzslhome/home.html

Another good site is: http://www.signedlanguage.co.uk/SignSupportedEnglish.html

http://suite101.com/article/sign-supported-english-a108104

I am passionate about using sign language with spoken words with babies, It has been such an eye opener for me and my close family to really see into my baby and now toddlers world. With out this amazing tool I think I would have missed so many learning, communicating and bonding opportunities in these early months.

Lately I have had a few different people question why I’m teaching my toddler “sign language”, they ask me why don’t I just teach her to TALK!!. I guess by them asking me this question, it really show that they just don’t get it. I suppose those that don’t have the chance to actually see a baby/toddler in person communicating with the use of sign don’t realise just how many verbal words and sound effects you end up using to get your message across to a hearing child. Maybe it is just automatic that they think you are a pushy parent and will do more harm than good.
But what pisses me off is that they feel like they can off load all there negative unwanted advice onto me and at the end I find myself getting worked up and almost doubting my decisions.

Anyway I’m sure there are others on this forum that feel like this sometime and thats why I wanted to share what I have found out about ‘Sign supported English’ I use this title more when I have to defend what I am teaching my toddler as it is more self-explanatory than ‘baby sign language’

I tell anyone with ears and a baby that they need to run to the library and check out signing time. Plus, I encourage signing well past the talking days, since it helps with reading, spelling, fine motor skills, and fun. Yes, I’m a fan, fan, fan too :slight_smile: And yes, I was aware of ASL vs SE (signed english, or SEE signed exact english) but not SSE, as you described. And while you’re right that it’s different, I just stick with telling people that it’s ASL, since people randomly saying words in another language is their attempt at that language too. We, however, do try to immerse ourselves in the deaf community too. So, I don’t think it’s a big deal that we don’t get it 100% right. I feel like the effort counts too. In any event, whether it’s ASL, SE, SSE, SEE or whatever else, the important thing is that we’re getting our kiddos to communicate :smiley: Yes! And it truly makes ALL the difference later on.

I agree, I call it ASL but if we wanted to be accurate that isn’t what it’s called since we are signing in English spoken order. Sign language has opened doors of communication for our daughter. At 4.5 when we adopted her she had no spoken language. She now has over 350 signs and is using some spoken sounds and words. I love that she can express thoughts and feelings that she doesn’t have the ability to convey through spoken words. Keep up the good work!

Anna