Should I purchase the Basic set or Deluxe Set???

Hello!

I’m new to the forum. My names is Sandy and my daughter Kira is 2 months old. I plan to buy the little reader and the little math for her to start learning. I was wondering if people normally purchase the deluxe package, where you have the flip cards, flash cards and storybooks OR just the BASIC, which is just the software download version? We need pay about $100 more for the extra materials plus shipping fees, so I was wondering if the basic set with the download will work just as well. Can anyone who purchased this program please share your thoughts and opinions?

Also I know the software can only be installed on two computer system. What if my desktop crashes and I need to get a new one, can I reuse the license key on the new computer system or will you give me a new license key or do I need to buy another set to get the license key to put on my new computer system? Please advise! Many thanks for your time!

A friend recently asked me this question last week and this was my response to her. She had previously seen my flap cards and how cool they are and was going to buy it all separately to “save money.”

There’s only a $20 difference unless you were only going to buy only 1 semester of the Basic…

Semester 1 Basic $149
Semester 1 & 2 Basic $199
Flap Card Binders $30

So the Full Basic set of Semester 1 & 2 plus the binders is $230

Deluxe Includes semester 1 & 2 and the Flip Binders $250

Deluxe also includes the books and 8 core categories pre-printed. If it was between the two ($20 price difference) I would get the deluxe for the print outs alone because one of my ink cartridges is $36 each plus my time and effort so I would probably save money versus doing it myself. I still go through a lot of ink in my house! I print off other categories and different activities for the kids, but economically for $20 it makes sense to buy them pre-printed for my ink cost. Having them predone does also makes it a lot easier to get started in my opinion.

If it was between Semester 1 basic and Deluxe, the price difference would be more of course but you are only getting 6 months worth of curriculum. It looks like they don’t offer just the 2nd semester, so I don’t know if you would be able to get it later? Maybe I am missing it somewhere.

I think the full years program is worthwhile for us anyway, we use it multiple times daily. If it’s something you plan to commit to with this child and any children you have in the future, I would probably get the deluxe over a $20 difference. Plus the one year curriculum comes with a reading guarantee and you get the storybooks and a few little bonuses. If it was between the basic or not buying it, then I would get the basic, but if I had the luxury of a choice I would go with the deluxe over a $20 price difference.

Good luck with your decision and have fun with the program! It’s awesome.

I just reread your original post again. Your DD is only 2 months old, since you are starting early (which is GREAT!) you will probably be using this program for a long time and possibly with future children. I would take that into consideration too, you’re going to get your money’s worth out of the “investment.”

Also, I have had to reinstall my program using the same code after I reformatted my computer and I had no issues.

I too agree that the deluxe is much better but what do you mean with a ‘reading guarantee’? I haven’t read about it?

RESULTS - GUARANTEED!

We’re so convinced our easy-to-use learning system is so effective, that we will confidently guarantee that your child will learn to recognize words after following the 12-month Course Curriculum (Semester 1+2)!

http://www.brillkids.com/teach-reading/what-your-baby-will-learn.php

Oh I missed that. It is amazing how kids learn and much more babies. I am anxious to start the program with my gransdaughter that is expected to be born next week.
Thanks for that information.

And I forgot to mention all of the sentences and stories are in semester two. There might be couplets in semester 1, I can’t remember offhand. If you bought semester 1 only, theoretically you could create your own files for sentences, but the animated stories are really neat and my kids love them. Especially because some of them match the paperback books that come with the deluxe set.

Hi everyone,

In addition to TeachingMyToddlers explanations, I’d like to suggest that you take a look at these pages in case you haven’t seen these yet:

Regarding Kiraly’s question on “reusing” license keys, All BrillKids learning systems may be installed on UP TO 2 computers, which means you can use your license key two times to activate your installations on two different computers. In case you need to switch to a new computer, or if you’ve reformatted your computer, you can manage your own software activations to remove either or both activation records to free up a slot for your new installation. You may refer to this Support article for more information on how this is done:
http://support.brillkids.com/index.php/article/manage-activation-records

I hope this helps! :yes:

Please also see this thread, which discussed the same question:

http://forum.brillkids.com/little-reader/what-should-i-buy-lr-basic-or-lr-delux/