Should each word be shown 12 times/ 15 times?

Hi All,

I have started teaching my 6 month old using Doman math cards and the LR (for some reason, he did not enjoy the word flashcards that I had made, but took well to the math cards!)

According to the Doman method, each word has to be shown atleast 15 times (3 times a day for 5 days), but the Brillkids curriculum suggests that the words be shown 12 times…can someone explain this to me. Is there some research done on this.

Also, I would like to take this opportunity to ask other parents not to give up- try all methods and your baby will guide you as to which learning method you should use. I tried a lot of permutations and combinations before we got to THE curriculum for my baby- and now, we are loving it! :slight_smile:

Good luck to all.

First of all, with the LR curriculum, your child will see a word more than 12 times. With one full cycle, considering that a word is seen during flash mode and multisensory, and there are 2 sessions, you would see a word 6 x 2 x 2 = 24 times. If you leave out session 2 (since it’s optional), that would be 12 times.

Most importantly, as I keep stressing, don’t fuss so much about details like this. Don’t be a slave to these rules because they are NOT rules, just a guideline. No one intends for you to have to be enslaved by them. Do what feels right for your child.

Fifteen is definitely just a guideline - like anything children will learn on a bellcurve - some may pick up the words after only being shown once, while other children may need to see the word 20 times before they remember it (and also a word that is more boring to them or that they do not understand will take more repetitions to remember)

The longer you do words with your child the faster they should pick them up too and with fewer repetitions. You can always show the categories as many times as you feel comforatable with though.

Thank you.