Should 15 months old be talking???

Hi Sheeberi, you shouldnt concern yourself so much about that. Eventually they will talk. My brother talk when he was 3. And he didn’t have a twin brother. Keep on talking and talking to them. Let me know when they say momma! And we’ll rejoice!

Yes, that could contribute to delayed speech development. YBCR is helpful for speech if you watch it with them and encourage them to follow, most other videos/TV is non-social, or interactive meaning they don’t require an answer, and so don’t encourage speech. Try visiting a friend with an older kid (or invite them over)who would talk to your twins while at play together. It sounds like you do play and read with them a lot though, so don’t worry, they’ll catch on. :slight_smile:
PS Keep up the languages :slight_smile:

I didn’t read everyone’s reply to this thread, so am not sure if this has been mentioned, but twins in particular are prone to speech delays because they spend so much time together and can develop their own language that the two of them understand and no one else does. You need to make sure that you speak to them a lot and that they also have other children to speak to - perhaps do some reasearch on the internet on twins and speech problems with twins.

Nonetheless at 15 months many children are not saying anything and it usually turns out fine so I wouldn’t worry too much at all.

Dear Sheeberi, I faced the same thing when I visited our doctor with my 15 months babygirl. Moreover, she asked me if baby was already able to join 2-3 words and make short sentences…At that time and up to now, the only thing my daughter says is some animal sounds what she learnt from children’songs and cartoons like boo-boo, muuh,baa-baa… but though she doesn’t speak, she understands what I say and with verbal communication can explain to me what she wants. I speak to her Russian, and my husband speak to her mother tounge uzbek and plus all cartoons and songs on TV are in english and me myself try to speak to her english from time to time, like stand up, close the door, come here, sit down and etc. And she understands. And when she goes to kindergarden she will learn czech as we live in Prague. This was the biggest challenge for me, when i was afraid to put too much on my baby’s shoulders at such an eary age. But this realy works, she grabs what we say, little by little, step by step she gets there. And that is definitely true, that those babies who start speaking later than others, will speak whole words and make sentences easily. once they speak, everybody will understand them. Plus multilingualism is also an issue here. I didn’t speak until 3, and then I was easily understood by russian and uzbek speakers. That is why i am not that much worried about late speaking, what I am worried about is how else should I introduce english and czech to her, with the help of flash cards, how do i divide the input of those languages. So be patient and you will be very surprised when your twins start speaking! I wish you lots of energy and joyful moments in this uneasy task-waiting for them to speak :-)))
Good luck!

Dearest, there are many things doctors will tell you, they really like to have things in the box. Every baby is different in every way. I never had twins, but i had four “singlets” & it’s hard to tell you how different they are! My first one didn’t talk till he was past two & my #2 at 1year spoke in full sentences using all parts of speech. Research does show that multi-lingo babies start talking later, but by no means are they behind in development, they are much further ahead.
PLease, do not listen to your doc :tongue: (unless there are definite signs of mental development in your babies, which it really doesn’t sound like it, they sound like little geniuses! Congrads! :yes: SOOOOOOO CUte too! :smiley: ) & DO NOT stop talking to them in the different languages you do. I actually made this mistake & it’s a lot harder to start again later, esp. if you don’t have environment for them to use them, otehr than with you) languages is a gift for life, that they will be very thankful for & proud of (& you will be too) later down the road.
You’re a g wonderful mom! Wonderful babies!

Hey, my nephew was babbling till he was 3 then he started to speak English (and Twi) Ghanaian language, and in full sentences too! I would say, continue with what you are doing. Even if they ar late bloomers you’re going to have some very intelligent children there!

Doctors today follow a set curriculum based on the average kid - they aren’t very creative outside of that - the norm, average, etc. It’s a lot for a kid to absorb and it’s twins - if they can hear and you see they can understand, and there are no signs of autism, etc., I would say it’s okay - 15 mos. is not far from a year. Normal parameters for speech are up to 3 years per aap standards - and my nephew also didn’t speak til age 3 - not very well, anyway.

Being twins and it looks like they are identical,there are many reported cases of identical twins not talking to anyone else but having their own secret unintelligible language. Maybe if they had more time apart they might develop more ability to communicate with others normally.
If I had the ability to speak other languages I would continue to speak them. Who cares if they arent speaking any language now? So What if they are late? Soon enough they’l speak all 3 languages fluently and this non-speaking time will be forgotten. Dont waste this time with just one language!!!

I would just say that you should have their hearing checked, and if that is just fine then don’t worry so much. Some kids don’t get around to it until later, but then they skip many steps or got through them all in a day or two.

Also, I always tell people this but no one ever listens to me, you have to talk to your baby pretty loudly and pretty constantly and narrate things, especially what they are doing. For instance, if my baby is playing with a drawer, I stand by him and say “What’s in the drawer? Did you open and close that drawer? Look at that, the drawer is closed. Are you going to open it, or leave it closed? If you are going to get it open again you have to pull the handle.” It goes on and on, and I talk as loudly as I can comfortably, most people would think I was shouting. I talk much louder to the baby than I do to my husband or another adult. I have never seen a study on this, whether if a baby has normal hearing if the decibel level that their parents speak at have any impact on language acquisition. I am going off topic here, because this is probably not your primary problem (if there is a problem) I just wanted to comment on that.

Hi all

It’s all very encouraging and thanks to you all.

My daughter (14months old) said Mommy in Vietnamese very clearly for 1 day when she turned 13 months. Before that she only liked to practice Papa.

Then she stopped calling Mommy or Papa and still not coming back to those 2 words yet, no matter how much we tried to entice her to call us.

She obviously let us know who is in control of her speech I think. And she has ways to express her wish clearly so we understood each other quite well.

Now she starts to say A-Boo for peek a boo. And the other day she said “Up”.

Sometimes I feel like “should I be worried since there are kids who speaks more than my baby”. But most of the times I’m ok with her progress. I think unless there is a problem in understanding each other, let the kid decide when he/she wants to speak.

I’m glad i found this post (I wanted to start a new one but did a quick search to find info before)
My daughter is 14mo and does not say much. She was saying a lot more at 12 months, she had about 4 or 5 words that she pronounced really well (more, turtle, outside, yogurt, hello)
I speak only in French to her. The other languages she hears (chinese and a little bit of japanese) are on tv when we watch Little Pim or when she listens to cds.
I’ve started showing her the LR english curriculum 2 weeks ago, and she’s watched YBCR at few times, so she’s hearing a little english now.
The funny thing is she’s constantly talking and making sounds and it looks like she’s trying really hard.
Then at times, I think she’s making fun of me (when i say ‘mama’ and she answers ‘papa’) or when i say ‘pee’ and she says ‘caca’ (poo).

I know many people believe that children hearing more than 1 language are a bit slower to speak. In my opinion there’s no way of proving that the same monolingual child would have spoken earlier.

I guess my question is: what can i do to get her started?

Dear hypatia,
Just would like to share something, not sure whether it will help or not.
How to get started to make your daughter to talk more? You actually can try to talk to her more often with your clear pronunciation, moreover, please let her see how is your mouth movement.
Thanks.

Thank you for your advice EQ.
Today I was inspired to sing many nursery rhymes and there was one which really got her attention, she started humming and was repeating one 2 syllable word! Singing might be a solution!n lol

Bravo!!! Keep it up!

my ds didn’t start talking until he was 18 mos. old - the speech therapist suggested that I talk to him deliberately so he can see how the words are said, to also show what I meant (demonstrate) as well as to talk to him a lot - about anything - what you’re doing, what you’re reading, make up a story, etc. my really big problem was, I am very laconic and not very creative so I resorted to singing nursery rhymes, children’s songs, fingerplays, singing karaoke songs, reading more books to him, going to circle/storytimes at the library, letting him watch Blues clues, buying learning toys at garage sales and inviting friends over often so there would be more exposure to conversations. I didn’t know that by doing all these, I was also helping him develop his other abilities as well (he was able to learn his ABCs by 24 months and started reading right after he turned 36 months). his talking took off around 22 months and by the time he turned 30 months, he was talking in sentences with good pronounciation. I agree that singing definitely helps. I also have to add (even though this might out of topic but I think it might be helpful to others) that seeing me read a lot of my own books and magazines made him want to learn how to read more too.

I think there will never be out of topic, reading is a good habit. You are not doing this to make him talk more, I think this will cultivate his reading habit too.

Oh, I’ve started to notice this as well. Recently my daughter has started to climb on my bed or on the couch, makes herselft comfortable and grabs a book or a magazine. It is really cute when i’m reading and she comes to join me with her own book. :nowink: I’ve followed the advice of many parents here who make their own books featuring their child. I’ve made 3 so far.

I speak two languanges with my baby, she just start talking (about 5 words) she can say “ball, bubble, apple” in english but she says “teeth and eat” in mandarin. I think there is no problem at all speaking two languages with baby :slight_smile:

Hi,
Here I had posted something at the other reply, may check out: http://forum.brillkids.com/hong-kong/bb/
thanks.

Hi everyone

My bubs is just over 18 months, and doesn’t speak yet. The walkers that’s slow to talk or talkers that’s slow to walk doesn’t fit my bubs either, she only started to walk on 14 months.

She understands both Afrikaans and English. I’m not too worried about her not speaking as she can correctly show me most of her (100) flashcards and understands what I’m saying to her in both languages. She’ll even do most things I ask her like putting away her toys, bringing me certain objects and even making animal sounds.

Cheers,