Shorter Stories at a 5th or 6th grade level?

I am looking for shorter stories that are at a 5th or 6th grade level. My daughter has visions problems that aren’t correctable at this point so I’m finding that her reading ability is stalling now that she is at the level that most books have smaller print & longer stories. Also because she just turned 6 sometimes the subject matter isn’t interesting to her.

I would love to find some interesting online stories that I could print because then I could enlarge the font before printing. Right now I’m typing out the first few pages of each chapter & having her read them while I read the rest of the chapter but I can’t keep typing everything out!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Kmum could you check with your local library about large print editions or books? libraries don’t loan them to the general public.
A other option is to consider the purchase of a kindle type reader. Libraries can lend kindle (and other format) books for free. If your daughter qualifies there is also another list of books available for people with vision problems to borrow from, books that libraries can’t lend via kindle.

Also I like the stepping stone books. I am not sure about the level. But the text is pretty clear. Not sure if it is large enough or not.

http://www.randomhouse.com/teachers/stepping-stones/classic/

Amazon.com might have a page view option to check them out.

Thanks for your ideas :slight_smile:

Our local (very small town) library has only adult large print books unfortunately.

My older daughter has a kobo ereader but so far I’m having trouble finding shorter stories at this level.

I have also been in contact with the CNIB & they will be doing an evaluation & making recommendations this fall but in the meantime I’m looking into a magnifier too.

I was going to suggest a magnifier also. But I have not used one. I am legally blind with an eye disease and it makes if hard for me to focus on small print. I read nearly everything online now with my iPad. I seldom read print anymore. But I am thinking of trying a magnifier myself.

I’m hoping to try to the CNIB (Canadian national institute the the blind.) tomorrow - it’s a 2.5 hour drive so it takes a little planning. I’ll met you know how it goes.

Just a quick update.

We made it to the CNIB the other day & purchased a magnifier. It is small (ruler shaped) & she can slowly run it down the page of a chapter book as she is reading it. She is not loving it yet but seems to be able to read better so hopefully she’ll get used to it soon.

I was glad you were able to find a solution.

I also would suggest an iPad. I read with glasses in print and without glasses on the iPad. I just make the words bigger so I don’t strain my eyes. It is wonderful and there are SOOO many books available digitally that you could try.
Older hard back classic children’s books are often large print. Not the soft covers they are always tiny but the old hard covers. Many original fairy tales come in large print.
Also you can get children’s encyclopaedias on animals, nonfiction and fiction in sets that are larger print. Check out the second hand book stores near you. The advantage is one set has LOADS of reading material and they are usually excellent value 2nd hand too.
The 2nd hand store is the best place for large print kids novels. Years ago books were a special treat and the quality was much higher, including the print size :yes: