Shichida - Linking Memory, ESP, Imaging, Computer Calculations, etc.

I’m not sure if anyone has addressed this question already, but I remember a few people asking about it…

I think the question was about right and left brain development. It’s been mentioned that we should avoid doing too much LB developmental activities at an early stage. From what I understand from TW, linking memory is a “right brain” activity for left brain dominant individuals. It is not recommended for children under 4 years because these children are largely right brain dominant and don’t need these tools to remember things. Yet, the children in Shichida and Heguru all do linking memory from infancy.

I’ve been reading Makoto Shichida’s book (which you can buy directly from the Japan website - it’s in English, too!) and linking memory is one of the tools recommended for developing right brain image memory. Shichida believes that if you want to develop superb memory capabilities, the training has to begin from infancy. At Shichida, they believe in using inking memory. This is because children are very creative and fanciful. They can come up with all sorts of fantastic stories.

For those who don’t know, linking memory is a method of helping us remember a list of items. It is often recommended by a lot of memory books. For instance, if you wanted to remember cat, oranges, fan, and shoes, you could make up a funny story like: “A cat was eating oranges. The oranges were ripened with a fan. The fan was strange because it wore shoes.” Children can make up all sorts of wild stories to link unrelated objects together.

In Shichida’s book, he cites an example from one of the teachers regarding linking memory and what it does. The children in the class are encouraged to practice linking memory to help them remember a series of cards. They work at it until they can remember the entire series of cards all in order - it might be twenty cards, or it might be forty cards, or it could be more. What one teacher reported was that when the children could remember about 30 cards in correct order using the linking memory method, something strange happens. Some of the children are suddenly able to remember 40 or 50 cards by glancing at them without using words. It is as if linking memory is triggers the brain’s photographic memory ability.

I haven’t finished reading Shichida’s book (sorry - slow reader alert) but it is pretty amazing. I’ll be updating this post in time to come as I don’t have time to write it all at one go so please bear with me. If you’re impatient, you can just buy the book directly from Shichida and read it for yourself.

Thank you very much for bringing this up, Shen Li! I have been looking at your blog for your reviews of Shichida books - thank you very much for those too. Can I ask if any of Shichida’s books actually give practical step-by-step guidance on the method or do they simply describe it and give illustrations?

Shichida only has four books printed in English that I am aware of. I have two of those - they were published last year and this year. So far, I’m almost through the first one. They are both slim books so they shouldn’t take long to get through, but I’m afraid they are more technical than I anticipated. Shichida explains the science behind right brain education which is actually quite complicated. As mentioned before in some earlier posts on Shichida (I’m sorry, I only just went through the histories and realised that I’ve shared nothing new), it has to do with quantum mechanics - not exactly light reading.

Only now do I understand why the Shichida schools are often reluctant to offer detailed explanations on their methods and why they work. Even though I have read chapters from the book, I find myself struggling to explain what I’ve read. I’m sure the staff at the centers are told not to explain the method because to explain it incorrectly would be to invite skepticism. If you’ve read what I wrote on my blog, then you are aware that Shichida talked about ESP as a science rather than a paranormal phenomenon as most of us know it by. Yet if you do not understand his explanations of how ESP works through quantum mechanics, I’m sure it would be easy to label the whole method as radical and fantastic.

The book has no illustrations. A lot of it is explained through the written experiences of Shichida teachers. Shichida does share what activities you should be doing to help develop your child’s right brain, but it is still quite vague. To be honest, if you have never attended a Shichida class before, I think it would be difficult to follow. It is unlike Glenn Doman who gives you a “prescription” (day 1 do xxx, etc.). Shichida simply tells you the science behind the right brain, how it is able to do all those amazing things - like computer-like calculations, ESP, photographic memory, speed reading, etc. He also tells you which activities are important for developing the right brain, like imaging, flash cards, linking memory, and various ESP games which would probably seem like random guessing games to an outsider. There are no specific details on exactly how you should carry out each activity.

I have not been to a Shichida class before, but I have attended Heguru with my sons and they have similar activities. But based on what I have read so far, imaging is probably one of the most important parts of developing the right brain. Imaging is an exercise that is not unlike meditation. You play a movie in your head and try to make the experience feel as real as possible. In Heguru, they play a recording that describes where you are and what you should see. You should try to envisage all the things described. It’s almost like having a daydream.

Thank you ShenLi for such a detailed reply. I would really like to get a hold of the book with step-by-step instructions! But it would also be interesting to read about the science behind the method. I have to say I am very intrigued by it, but part of me still remains quite skeptical. I will keep checking your blog for the updates on your reading. Thanks again for your very valued contribution.

Few months ago, I tried linking memory to myself. I did just the basic exercises from a small book named “memory improvement” and very soon I felt that my imagination has improved. Also the ability to concentrate. And memory of course. So I know what is memory linking and that it is good.

But I cannot imagine how to do it with 2 or 3 years old kid. How to tell her what I want. And it needs effort. It looks boring at the beginning. How to start.

LMsMum - you can find some shared experiences from parents who sent their kids to Shichida in these old posts:

http://forum.brillkids.com/general-discussion-b5/how-to-teach-shichida-method/
http://forum.brillkids.com/general-discussion-b5/shichida-1-year-old-class/

Frukc - My son attends Heguru (which is similar to Shichida) and does linking memory in class. However, when we try to practice at home, he isn’t interested either. However, I noticed that he is often interested in anything that I’m doing. So instead of asking him to do linking memory, I took the cards out and played linking memory on my own. Pretty soon, I had him coming over to join in. Now he tries to make up his own stories.

They say start with three cards, then slowly increase them as your child’s ability to recall more cards increases.

Thanks, ShenLi!
I also made cards and tried to play the game with myself. But my girl did not pay attention, and I did not try anymore. I will try again.
Another thing. For the memory linking, the imagination is needed. I can tell my story. But 2 - 3 year old kids can not tell very brilliant stories. Sometimes they can not talk at all. What should they do? Just listen my stories and play with cards?

Yes, just let them listen to your stories and play with the cards. They will still be learning from it.

My son used to play linking memory on the computer. He liked to listen to the stories. One day I was looking over his shoulder and I discovered he could remember all the cards. This was from a program called Memory Magic. I wish they had more like that.

I own Memory Magic. I just don’t understand how use it properly :frowning: I need to sit down and figure out. My son is five and it might be a good thing.

Hi Shen Li

What are the names of the two books you’ve purchased? I tried to find it in your thread, but you mentioned you had bought two books but no names?

I am fascinated to work out which concept is correct- Is memory linking LB or RB?

I have a feeling that one uses both LB and RB for Memory linking. The RB is used to make up the fantastic stories, and the LB is used to “decode” the story to remember the items. Perhaps that’s why they recommend using it only at a later stage?

What are your thoughts?

Waterdreamer - I bought Memory Magic for myself (to help improve my memory). My son saw me playing with it and that’s when he wanted to play.

Sarah - Sorry about that. I mentioned it in an earlier post. The two books are from Shichida Japan:

http://shichida.co.jp/english/c1-3_books.php

1. Right Brain Education in Infancy
  2. Children Can Change the World Through Right Brain Education

Yes, I have heard that Memory Linking is both right and left brain. Shichida believes in whole brain development to help the right and left brain work together optimally.

To be honest, I really don’t know what to think. I’ve just been trying to understand why some advocate using memory linking early and others recommend holding off until later. That’s why I wanted to read Shichida’s books since a lot of people refer to him as the father of right brain education (although it was Doman that came up with the dot cards which makes him the real father of right brain but Doman never talked about right/left brain development).

In Shichida’s book, he talks about how photographic memory is triggered by practicing linking memory. The children start first by remembering using stories. After they can remember about 30-40 cards, the teachers reported that some of the children were suddenly able to remember without using the words. In other words, their photographic capabilities emerged and the need for words was no longer necessary. I don’t really know how linking memory helps to bring out this ability (since Shichida didn’t elaborate) but clearly it does help in some way.

I guess I felt this is a case where the end justifies the means. Even if we don’t know how it works, practicing memory linking with your children does help to bring out the photographic memory ability. Maybe it is the process of creating fantastic stories that help to “exercise” the right brain?

Thanks ShenLi,

I am SO glad you told me about ESP. I have done none of that, and I would really like to learn more about it to start with my little girl. Where do you think the best source would be to look for practical advice on ESP development? You mentioned Shichida’s books don’t tell you too much of the “how to”, but more of the theory?

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks for sharing

Thank you ShenLi,
You website is great!
We in Germany can only learn from this website, we have no other information about Shichida.

I’ve just opened a blog for all German-speaking parents in order to promote the idea of Shichida and Doman. I can see my son, what amazing results can be achieved with a little instruction.

I have your RSS!

What exactly are the names of many abbreviations, such as LB or TW?
Thank you!

Hi Ilima

LB = Left Brain
RB = Right Brain
TW = Tweedlewink

Sarah - I’ve been taking my son to Heguru since the start of this year. It wasn’t until I started reading Shichida’s book that I realise what they were doing with all those “guessing games”. I didn’t even realise it was about ESP! It is unfortunate that Shichida isn’t more specific about the activities. The book goes through the theory and then it supplements the theories with examples from teachers and parents. A teacher might share her experience of how she works with her class to practice ESP and the results from her children. Therefore much of the “how to” has to be gleaned from the examples. Shichida does explain some things - like linking memory, but it is not at all like Doman who tells you exactly how to do it. I wish I knew where to get more information about ESP development, too. Right now it just seems like the only way is to practice mental imaging (like the magic carpet rides in TW) or to exercise the ESP senses by playing the ESP games, e.g. can you tell me what fruit I’m thinking of right now? Or which card is the strawberry? Which elevator will come first - the left or the right? Other than that I really don’t know.

I was searching for books on developing ESP in children and found this:

http://www.abcinfo.com/espkidsx.htm

• “Written using step-by-step techniques, this book is easy-to-read and includes fun games designed to nurture and improve your child’s psychic talents.”

I must say that I am also intrigued by ESP and am curious to see if I can help the children develop their right brain senses… It certain seems like my younger son is more adept at it - which agrees with the theory so far that younger children are better at it.

Ilima - My pleasure. When I first heard about Shichida, my first instinct was to google it. I couldn’t find much on it. It is better now, but I still feel there is a lot lacking. Hence the reason why I want to share what I have learned.

Hi,

Greetings.

I have linking memory set: LM1, LM2 & LM3 USD 32.00 or SGD 43.00 or RM100.00 each

Details:

Each set consists of:

1. 50 A5 size cards for flashing
  2. 50 smaller play cards
  3. 5 A4 size cards each contain 10 images
  4. Instructions on how to play
  5. Linking Memory story
  • Free gift: mandalas set (8 designs with coloring page) for those order all 3 LM sets.

Please send me an email if you are interested (dylan.eesha@gmail.com or thanu12@yahoo.com ). Free Delivery to Singapore and Malaysia

Thank you

Regards