Self-taught math . . .

If you’re not intimidated with the idea of your child becoming smarter than you are, I would like to recommend the Saxon math books. http://saxonpublishers.harcourtachieve.com/

Saxon will NOT admit that their books are for self-teaching because they wouldn’t sell a one in the public school systems if teachers were not required. In fact, this has caused a bit of a problem for the Saxon company. BUT there are no better books for your child to learn from. The evidence is all over the Internet, though you have to search for it. It can be found best by searching for Robinson Curriculum which employs Saxon in their home schooling curriculum. And that’s another link you should have too: http://robinsoncurriculum.com/ In fact, this last link is where you’ll get the real truth about the Saxon math. I cannot recommend it too highly. I use it for my boys and honestly, they love it!

Sky~

Just looked at the link and was a little surprised with some of the comments on this site, particularly regarding teaching science and the use of flash cards to teach reading.

Yes…this certainly is an interesting site.

I read something on the teaching of multiculturalism there that ended thus:

“Racism has no place in the education of an upright young Christian—it is a false religion. Teach the truth to your students. Leave lies like “multiculturalism” and other racist activities to the schools of the secular humanist state.”

??

Thanks for the link, Sky!

Looks like it’s for primary grade and up, and not for the early years?

In any case, how is the Saxon method special?

Hi KL,

It’s special in that it’s all self taught. It’s so easy to understand with their pictures and word combinations. Math was not one of my better subjects when I was a youngster, but mostly because my dad used the knuckle sandwich to try to get me to memorize 7 X 6. I absolutely couldn’t remember it for fear of the knot on my head getting bigger. Anyway, my boys only needed to be able to read and off they went.

Robinson Curriculum suggests starting math with the 5/4 level. They have it for primary, but RC’s argument is that it’s unnecessary. Teach them to read and write and then the math will take care of itself.

Sky~

Did you read about Robinson’s kids?

It’s working for us in the jungles of India outside Bombay.

Sky~

karma to you for the link
very cool

Always happy to get more information about stuff like this. It’s still a ways off for my baby girl, but I’d rather know ahead of time what my options are so I can plan for the future. I find the comment about teaching little ones to read and write and that math will come by itself intriguing and worthy of more thought and research on my part. Thank you for sharing!