Science daily article very interesting

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/08/120806151405.htm

Thank you for posting the article. It reinforces much of what I’ve been reading lately, which is that executive function is the greatest predictor for things such as intelligence in the long run, education, earnings, etc. Attention span would fall under executive function.

One weakness of the article is that it only compares the ease of math & reading acquisition at age 4 verses attention span - whereas I’d be curious about the correlation between attention span and early learning (age 1 and earlier). My hypothesis would be that early learning helps build attention span while it also works to acquire reading & math, etc.

Another weakness of the article, or rather something I would have liked to see them discuss, is how to build attention span. The article stated up front, “the good news for parents and educators, the researchers said, is that attention and persistence skills are malleable and can be taught.” Yet, it never went into depth to discuss any strategies that might help.

Luckily for us, we have BK where parents post about things such as Carol Dweck’s book “Mindset” which discusses persistence at great length.

Kimba- I love this site! Thanks, Karma to you for sharing…

I would say to build attention span slowly over time through early learning activities and independent play. My kids first sat in my lap to read 30 seconds at a time. My daughter sat for workbooks for perhaps 4-5 minutes in the beginning,1 page only, or through 1-2 pages of a hooked on phonics lesson versus an entire lesson. Over time, it builds. I think you already read Tools of the Mind, but for those who haven’t, this is good information. http://www.ehow.com/how_5645999_teach-zone-proximal-development.html

Early Reading PLUS a well developed attention span = winning combination. I used to worry with my son because he’d play an ipad app for all of 30 seconds before turning it off and picking a new one, but now at 2.5 he plays duplos or trains (legos) for a really long time and engages with apps for much longer periods. I have never seen such a technologically advanced kid in my life though, so I don’t regret his heavy ipad/iphone use (all learning apps of course). He clearly surpasses his older sister and now he “talks” to computers just like his Daddy. :blink: