Rock N Learn Phonics DVD

We have been watching Rock N Learn Phonics volume 1 for about a week now and it seems to be making a huge impact. So far this has been the most comprehensive phonics DVD I’ve seen. In volume 1 they cover the vowels, consonants, CVC words, blends, some digraphs and trigraphs, and silent E and use countless words (probably close to 200 over approx 40 minutes) to demonstrate the rules. The digraphs and trigraphs are animated so it is very easy to follow the same letter combinations as they move from one word to the next. It has also been a good refresher for me and has helped give me the language to talk about phonics rules with the kids. The program has been around for about 25 years now and should be available at many libraries, but the graphics are also a bid dated. What I don’t like about the video is that visually it is difficult to look at; they have a swirling psychadelic background framing the words. Even though the content is wonderful, some children may not be interested in the presentation. As for my kids (39 months), they will watch it for about 20 minutes in a stretch but they would prefer to watch the Leapfrog videos (which don’t have as many words demonstrated.)

This is a montage of the version we have
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmvQx5Uvr6c

Here is the Rock N Learn Phonics chapter listing
1. Intro to Volume 1 [:31]
2. Vowels [2:04]
3. Short Vowel Sounds [2:03]
4. Consonants With Vowels [4:02]
5. CVC Game [2:40]
6. C G Q X [2:50]
7. Putting it All Together [3:31]
8. Double Consonants [4:26]
9. Ending Blends [1:21]
10. End Blend Practice [3:22]
11. Beginning Blends [2:04]
12. Three Letter Blends [:39]
13. Digraphs and Trigraphs [3:58]
14. Silent e Intro [:55]
15. Silent e [3:01]
16. Silent e Practice [3:47]
17. Volume 1 Quiz [4:07]
18. Volume II Intro [:27]
19. Long a [1:43]
20. Long e [4:15]
21. Long i [1:49]
22. Long o [2:38]
23. Long u [2:42]
24. R-Controlled Vowels: ar [1:33]
25. Er, ir, ur [2:20]
26. Or [1:12]
27. Ire, are, air [2:24]
28. Oi, oy, ou, ow [2:59]
29. Au, aw, all, al [2:03]
30. Syllables [2:53]
31. Ending Sounds [3:52]
32. Y and le Endings [3:22]
33. Rule Breakers [2:05]
34. Ph and gh [:44]
35. Memory Words [1:34]
36. Silent Consonants [2:45]

I just ordered this on Monday…glad to hear you like it. We’re looking forward to its arrival!

Hmm, my 7 and 4 yr old may like this. I’ll have to see if our library has this and try it out first before buying.
I see what you mean about the psychedelic colors though.

Thanks for sharing this information

I’ll let you know if my copy has the psychedelic swirly stuff when I get them. I’m seriously excited about getting these after seeing tiny bits at Waterdreamer’s place. I hope it meets my expectations.

my kids, 2.5 and 5.5 years old, like watching the free Rock N Learn clips on YouTube, but I haven’t actually bought a DVD. The graphics and sound isn’t really my taste, but it does get the kids’ attention. They’ll start off watching something else on YouTube and before long they’ll have made it to Rock N Learn sample clips. They really do seem to prefer lessons with songs and video. They have no interest in straight phonics pattern flash. when the LR phonics pattern slides come up my youngest will push the escape button and start looking for something else to watch.

Thanks for the wonderful info…