Research help... what are effects of poverty/neglect etc on brain development?

I have a friend who may join this site, who is researching for an essay on cognitive development in babies between 0-2 years old. She also needs to explore examples of how poverty, neglect or sensory deprivation affects cognitive development (in 0-2 age group but obviously results would be seen long term). Anyone have any examples? Any links to websites?

here
http://www.epjournal.net/filestore/ep05102183.pdf
in the last part there is something about the brain development influenced by caregivers. also a lot of references.

btw this is one of my favourite articles and I will copy some paragraphs here

Most importantly, by changing the very structure and the patterns of activity within the brain, experiences in early life also influence how subsequent information will be processed, thus affecting future functioning. Even though this shaping process continues throughout life, its effects are particularly critical during these early stages of development when the foundations for the brain’s basic structure are laid.

For infants, their relationships with their main caregivers constitute the primary environment for their early development.

Within this complex framework, affectionate and responsive caregiving during infancy is clearly emerging as an important prerequisite for healthy brain development and later emotional wellbeing.

Most obvious examples of the link between adverse early social experiences and resulting deficits in brain and overall functioning can be found in clinical samples. For instance, former Romanian orphans, who had experienced severe early social deprivation, still showed long-term deficits in their cognitive and behavioral functioning after being adopted into U.S. families, with concomitant dysfunction in a group of limbic brain areas typically activated by stress and known to be damaged by prolonged stress (Chugani et al., 2001). In an Australian sample of extremely low birth weight infants, a history of childhood neglect was further associated with a smaller head circumference at ages 2 and 4, and with increasingly delayed cognitive development over the first four years of life compared to children who had not experienced neglect (Strathearn, Gray, O’Callaghan, and Wood, 2001). Another U.S. study on children and adolescents with past experience of maltreatment, and continued posttraumatic stress disorder, also found significantly decreased cerebral and intracranial brain volumes in the maltreated subjects when compared to matched controls (De Bellis et al., 1999). In addition, intracranial brain volume correlated positively with child’s age at the time of abuse onset, and negatively with duration of abuse.

==== and look at this ======
Milder forms of relational deficits in parenting have also been shown to produce distinct findings. In a study conducted by Dawson, Frey, Panagiotides, et al. (1999) in the U.S., 13- to 15-month-old infants of depressed mothers, when compared to infants of nondepressed mothers, showed a persistent atypical pattern of lowered activity in the left frontal brain area relative to the right frontal region. In typically developing children, increased left versus right frontal activity is usually observed. The abnormal condition also persisted during positive interactions with a nondepressed adult. The left frontal area is assumed to mediate positive affective expression and social approach behaviors. On a behavioral level, these children touched their mothers less than their age-matched controls, displayed less affection towards her, and with increasing duration of maternal depression were also more likely to behave in a hostile and aggressive manner

Thanks for that… I had forgotten about the depressed mothers thing, as I had read it somewhere before. I’ll give you karma.

btw if the question is about the influence of poverty - it can be also beneficial because poor mothers carry babies in slings, are together with children (no job), have extended breastfeeding, cosleeping and other beneficial things; low education may be worse than poverty :slight_smile:

Also poverty can develop a strong spirit to succeed because the child does not want to be poor when they grow up. Look at Oprah, the guy who was married to Jane Fonda, Barbara Streisand, Richard Branson. Maybe they are the exception to the rule…???

Heres a report on effects of poverty on children
http://72.14.235.132/search?q=cache:mmeT1jaNnFUJ:www.futureofchildren.org/usr_doc/vol7no2ART4.pdf+effect+of+poverty+on+babies&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=mv&client=firefox-a

And another on child abuse and neglect and the brain
http://www.ipce.info/library_3/files/glaser.htm

And
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/517571

also
http://arjournals.annualreviews.org/doi/full/10.1146/annurev.publhealth.18.1.463?amp;searchHistoryKey=%24{searchHistoryKey}

Thanks kyles mum… karma coming your way. I also thought of FOOD as an issue…bad nutrition, not enough calories.