Reference on 'Journey to the East' Learn Chinese fro Children

I am looking for material that will help me to learn chinese and one of the products that seems good is the DVD Journey to the East, The River Drangon King ( Learn Chinese for Children). The references i read in Amazon are most of them good but others are contratictory. Some say lovely animation and others that it seems to be old and poor animation. They also mention about the differences in pronunciation. But i think it is a nomal problem since the pronunciation of a man is different from a woman and a child. Take into consideration that no one in the surroundings know Chinese.

Please has anyone of you had the opportunity of wathcing that video or showing it to your son? I undersatnd it is recommended for older kids and not babies. Maybe it would be helpful for me since i want to learn in order to teach or try to understand what my grandsons will be learning.

Also i would appreciate if you can recomend other products (DVD or CD with lyrics) that wouuld be good or even better than that one.

Thank you

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-TW&u=http://www.benesse.com.tw/&ei=07f2TbtQ667QAdbOnewM&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCMQ7gEwAA&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dbenesse%2Btaiwan%26hl%3Den%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:*%26prmd%3Divns

I am using Benesse Taiwan now. They send dvds, and book, activity book to us on monthly basis. Try clicking on the link, if does not work, use Google Search and type in Benesse Taiwan, then you can see the page , translated in English. I called Taiwan and need to pay lump sum for 6 months subscription. I just told the lady, my credit card details. We just started in April, we will continue, they send the materials to you, based on your child’s age.

I tried Baby Learn Chinese and showed her some Chinese poems dvds. She loves the Chinese poems dvds but she does not learn reading Chinese from those dvds, but manage to sing Chinese songs though. She does not like Baby learn Chinese.

Thanks reii for your response. I entered succesfully to that link but even though it had parts in english i was completely lost.
I am looking for something more simple than the monthly program. specially since i live in Peru , and shipping to south america may be unpayable.
I also took a look at your blog and found it very nice. It is good to read your activiities with Little R.

Years ago i start learning Mandarin with Rosetta stone but i quit. Nowadays i am strating all over since i bought Little Reader and Chinese Curriculum for my grandaughter. I am not convince in the fact that she will learn so easy as it sounds but I loose nothing giving it a try. We haven’t started yet and will do LR first in english and some month later in Chinese. Nevertheless i started because it will take more time and effort for me to learn htat language I am followinr Rosetta an d LR Chinese almost in parallel but i was looking for something more.

I agree with what you mention in your blog about some products that do not help to read Chinese but contributes with pronunciation and vocabulary. Your text is: 'I don’t think it helps her to read Chinese though, helps to develop interest in Chinese language, singing and ‘reading’, but not actual reading. Helps with good pronunciation. .

Thanks for your interest in helping. I hope someone out there has bought ‘Journey to the East’ and can give me their opinion.

http://www.mandarinadvantage.com/products.html

They have a video clip on their website. Personally, I don’t like it - it is mostly English with some Chinese words, rather than immersion (which I prefer).

Hope this helps :smiley:

2010BEBES,
Please, check my blog:http://earlylearning-eaton.blogspot.com/2011/06/how-to-teach-toddler-foreign-language.html
I posted some information about products I use with my baby to teach him Chinese. Also,please read comments on the bottom. Some of my readers mentioned great links I really like. Maybe you will find them useful too. Thank you.
Marta

MummyRoo,

i think you are right, thought it was all chinese and i see that it is basic english with some chinese words.
50+ vocabulary words

I think in Little Pim and LR i get much much more.

Martha,
Thanks for your link, i see many good products and read the comments on you page. As soon as we start Chinese with my grandaughter i will post it. My grandson is learning english with LR and even though he is not to font of reading, he wants to see if there is a new word and detect which one is new. So that is what keeps us going.

At what age did you start with Eaton?
Have you tried LR chinese curriculum with his picture or his family’s?

Excellent work.