Recommended toys/books for infants

Hi everyone,

I am wondering what toys should I buy for our expected baby boy.
As of now, I made a list. It’s quite short as I only wanna only buy the “essentials” (new born babies shouldn’t be overwhelmed with a lot of toys I think). That would be great if you send comments on this list or recommend others you’ve already tried with your babies.

For the toys:

• Fisher price playmat
  • Lamaze Jacques the peacock or Freddie the firefly (which one is better?)
  • Lamaze foot and wrist finders
  • ELC (Eraly Learning Centre) Dillon the donkey

For the books:

• Lamaze cloth book “Faces” (with black and white patterns)
  • The very hungry caterpiller by Eric Carle
  • Dr Seuss’s pocket library (is it too early?)
  • Another pocket library (with ABC, 123, animals, etc.)

Thank you!

Hi Chiraz

I consider myself a minimalist mum. I only had a couple of cloth books, a rattle and I read Dr Seuss out loud while still pregnant especially the “oh baby the places you´ll go” (I did have the full library though)
The floor mat is handy but so is a brightly coloured pillow and my LO absolutely loved a bright blue knitted rabbit my mother made.
Sing,talk and cuddle a lot AND play classical music . I have found that I bought “stuff” only to find out that my face, my voice and walks outside are far more interesting!
I know this is not part of your book or toylist but I found that the baby carrier is a great investment, forget the buggy for at least a few months.
Stick to yout gut feeling, buy less and spend quality time together
Good luck!

Hey Arnie 2009,

Thanx a lot for your response. I thought I was minimalist… as I am comparing my choices to what parent magazines suggest, but I think I was wrong, you are way more minimalist than me.

Thanks for the baby carrier tip. I was planning to get just a pushchair.

For the toys, I may get just one (most likely Jacques the peacock as it has many features and contrasting colors) and a playmat (we’ll see how it goes)

Ceci-dit, the most important thing, as you mentioned, is quality time we spend together, there is no minimalism in there :slight_smile:

Thank you again.

a really fun thing you can make for you baby is paper plate faces
all you need is some white paper plates and a big black marker
you draw simple faces onto the middle of the paper plate
try to make the faces as big as you can
i’m not a artist at all but i had a lot of fun making these and both my girls really like them
you can also make them with simple emotions {happy,sad etc}

thx a lot Tatianna! I see how simple things can really make funny games!