Recognize pictures but not words, what's wrong?

My son is 23 months old and he recognizes all the pics I show him. I usually show picture first, follow with word ( name of the object in the pic ). However, after almost 6 months since I practise Glenn Doman’s method, he still keep quiet when I show him words, but when he sees those pictures, he’ll immediately speak out calling the objects’s name. Oh yes, he can read well A-Z, a-z, 1-10.

Anyone experience this before or knowing why? Is this got to do with ‘left or right brain’? Kindly share ur thought & pls advice.

Thank u all.

We are using Little Reader which I feel is a more sophisticated and modern variation of the Doman method, and it’s the same for us, but we’ve only been at it for about 2 months, and DS is 14 months…

Honestly, I think it just takes a lot of practice - up to a year or more.

You might want to search for posts from DadDude in this forum to see how he went about teaching reading…his method is a bit different.

Also, read Zaja’s posts to get ideas, because her little boy is reading.

Sounds like your child is familiar with letters and numbers, that’s great!

Have you tried labeling items in their room so that they get comfortable associating words with objects?
We are doing that right now.

With our DS, it’s starting to become obvious that he knows letters and written words are symbols for sounds and words, because even if he can’t read something, he pretends to pronounce something and it sounds like babble…it’s cute - I think he is trying and he doesn’t consider letters and words just random visual noise anymore.

Keep us posted!

I’m in the same boat. DD has been seeing LR for 6-7 months now and has never shown (well, said…) if she recognises the words.
Flashcards don’t work for her so she’s probably seeing on average one slide of LR a day and i’m guessing she sometimes looks at the words i’m pointing at on books but i can’t really tell…

I strongly believe that you should always show the words first and alone. The pictures act as a reward for reading the words and viewing the words. If you show the pictures first the words may be boring to your child. I don’t know if it is too late to switch the order and see what kind of results you get.

Babies and small children will begin to recognize the way a word looks just the same as if it were a picture. They need to see the words isolated from any pictures so they can recognize the words and after learning to recognize many words they will begin to understand phonics and be able to read words that they have not been exposed to because the understand the patterns of the language.

Hope this helps some.

Good point. We always show the word first in Little Reader - which is how the curriculum is set up by default.

Whenever I make my own slides, I present them word-first as well.

mom2ross

I understand your concern! I faithfully did Doman’s flashcard method since birth and although baby can identify over 100 animals like the Sifaka Lemur and can now articulate that they’re related to the monkey and are from Madagascar (he can do this with every animal, insect, breed of dog, etc…it’s actually quite freaky) .he still can’t “read” words. Being an ex-teacher and librarian though, I try not to overly concern myself about it. We read together an average of about two hours a day which I know will produce results. I just figured I have me a details-oriented sorta little guy here rather than a big-picture (sight word) one. So…now, in addition to his flash words, we moved to his letters and letter sounds. He can now recognize and identify all the upper- and lowercase letters and their sounds. He can’t put words together yet, it’ll take some patience since he always uses context to “guess” words rather than sound them out. I’m not concerned with that either though…since that’ll prove useful in reading later.
My advice…roll with it. Children have different ways of learning and as their teachers we should look for the genius in what our children CAN do and use those strengths to modify instruction accordingly. I was sorely dissapointed baby wasn’t reading by now since I dud everything “right”, but not every child will follow the same path. As most parents of several siblings have told me…not even children in the same family using the same methods given by the same teachers in the exact same way will have exact same results.
It’s what makes our children unique human beings. Sure it “complicates” things for US sometimes… but it’s also what makes teaching and parenting wonderful too! :slight_smile:
Just my 2 cents… :slight_smile:

Cyndec,
I’m in the same boat. There was a point when my daughter was a bit younger when i was worried i wasn’t doing enough or comparing her with other babies sight-reading at 16 months. It took her a looong time to get used to concentrate looking at a book for more than a few seconds or appreciate LR (these days she asks for more after every slide…a great sign, even if she does not show me what she does know)

Today I can see that she is good at so many other things-and as you said, everything we do will be useful in the near future, it’s not lost even if we don’t see the results right now.
I let her do what she likes-being outdoors, doing forward rolls, singing, and introduce her to other things beside reading. Developping her language skills and improving her memory are the priorities of the moment.