Ready to wean my baby! Would appreciate any tips, advice, recommendations!

My daughter soon will be a year, this September I am planning on weaning her.
I know it is advisable to wait for a baby to selfwean, but I do not want to wait, the way the things are going she’ll selfwean around 3-4 lol
So I would really apreciate if you ladies would share your experiences, advice and tips.
Thanks in advance!

Me too. My son is 26 months and I just can’t get him off those night time feeds. I’m dreadful and can’t say no but am beginning to doubt that he’ll ever self wean. :wub:

It is hard to wean a baby, especially for a baby that age, I weaned my kids at a year as well. I just couldn’t do it anymore.

My suggestion is to start having daddy or someone else feed her from the bottle more and more frequently. Once she gets used to it it will be easier for her to ‘forget’ that the breasts are for feeding.

Try not to get undressed in front of her until she is weaned because if she sees them she will want to nurse.

Another thing that might help is introducing her (if you haven’t already) to teething cookies and crackers. If she gets angry at the bottle you could try tea instead of formula once in a while.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

The only thing I would suggest is that you either wean around 11 months or wait a few months because I have always found my babies to go through a stage of being more easily distracted from breastfeeding around 11 months and then going through a growth spurt around 12months which meant they needed a lot more breastmilk until they were around the 16 month age. I’ve spoken to quite a few friends who have noticed the same thing and it is really hard to wean a baby around 12 months because they become more aware of wanting to be breastfed. It is also common for them to need to feed as much as a newborn around the 12month age so if it is really becoming a problem for you it’s worth considering.

Other than that I really don’t know. My babies all weaned some time during pregnancy so I’ve yet to consciously wean a baby. Good luck.

ETA here is a really great link for weaning, scroll down to the bottom for tips on how to wean.

http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/weaning.html