ready-made baby books with BIG FONT?

hello everyone!!

can anyone recommend any baby/toddler books with BIG FONT? even better if words and pictures are on different pages, of course…

instead of continuing to read my baby his baby books with tiny font that he doesn’t even look at (waste of time!!), i was hoping there would be some Doman-compatible books available on the market…

by the way i am in the USA-- and unfortunately I don’t have time to create books myself-- and i want baby-safe books, as well.

thanks!! :clown:

That is a tall order! lol

Personally I haven’t found any :frowning: so I would love to hear any suggestions too.

I like the YBCR books. They have a large word on each page. The word is on a flap (tear-resistant) that you lift up to reveal the picture. They’re kinda pricey ($10 each or $45 for the set), but well worth it. You might even be able to find them on ebay or amazon for cheaper.

http://www.yourbabycanread.com/books-and-more.php

There are companies now that have books that are leveled. I have not seen any like the YBCR ones, but when your child is ready for sentences Rigby is a company that has quality leveled books.

thanks so much, everyone, for the advice!! i will certainly look into the YBCR books-- i didn’t know they had books.

so i researched Rigby, but it turns out that they don’t have big font size in their books. at least, according to a customer service representative i spoke with.

i don’t mind having sentences-- i just want a really big font size (and hopefully words on their own pages with no pics visible) so that my toddler will have a chance to learn, instead of his current books which all have tiny font size, where he just looks at the pictures. i’m not following any reading method strictly, by the way.

i was thinking that kids who have poor vision MUST have books out there made for them… with really big font… i just can’t find any!

I find thaat there isnt much choice out there for baby ready made books. I use a photo album!! You can use a photo album and put your childs photo on one page and a word in the next. You even write short sentences coresponding with the photo-depending on how large the album is. The pages are hard and sturdy and fantastic for toddlers/babies.

I found some books with large font, but they have the picture on the same page. They would be ideal if the pictures weren’t on the same page as they writing. I think they are a better quallity home made book that someone has tried to market. They look like laminated paper with a coil binding. I wonder if they were marketed to children with vision problems.

The book says The Big Book Bin Inc. - made in Canada -1988 - Illustrated by Gayle Beharrell Lyrics by Charlotte Diamond As recorded on her album Diamonds & Dragons. Box 58174 Station L, Vancouver B.C. V6P 6C5.

We bought this one at a rummage sale, so I have no idea if they are still being marketed.

The Labybird books contain large font with pictures on a separate page. The Ladybird key word reading scheme, commonly known as Peter and Jane books, might be useful in the early stages. The earlier books only contain a few words per page and the words are repeated throughout the story. There are better schemes, but their lower level books are a good place to start. I used several of their books and i think that it was one of their Peter and Jane books that my children first read independently prior to their third birthdays. They have a “Well loved tales series”, titles like The Three Billy goats Gruff that are also appropriate-text on a separate page. You could always enlarge the font if necessary. Once your child has started to read independently you could progress to other schemes that introduce new words gradually whilst reviewing words already introduced. Some of these schemes lack interest and should be avoided. Oxford Reading Tree:Biff and Chip Storybooks are an excellent set of books that my children thoroughly enjoyed reading.
I appreciate that the Ladybird series appears outdated but some of their early books are ideal as they contain few words in large font with pictures on a separate page. These books are very cheap and are still available. A page in large font might contain something like this-Jane likes Peter, next Page, Peter likes Jane etc. Not exactly exciting stuff but a good place to start. Reading schemes are an important part of the process. They are not necessary, but will certainly speed up the process of learning to read fluently.
Hope that this has been of some help.

I went on a bookstore to buy books which are best for baby & toddler books to read. I really didn’t know where to start, except to look at the covers and titles of the books in the baby & toddler section at a large book store.

And here are some I recommend

Big Little by Leslie Patricelli
Leslie Patricelli has written some very charming baby/toddler books that we’d recommend, including (but not only) Yummy Yucky, Blankie, Quiet Loud, and Big Little.

Cookie’s Week by Cindy Ward
This baby/toddler story board book, by Cindy Ward, we’d also recommend. It’s about a cat named Cookie, who is so busy every day climbing the curtains, falling into the toilet or doing some other such mischief.

divaseven, I just wanted to say that the photo album sounds like a great idea. Doesn’t the plastic on the pages tear when they grab at it though? Maybe I just need a thicker book, lol!

Chris1, nice suggestion for the Ladybird books. They do seem as close to the request as possible. I am going to look into finding some of them. :slight_smile:

Another option I am considering trying is similar to the photo album book. First, go to the thrift store and buy some inexpensive children’s books. Then cut out the pictures and put them in one page of the photo album then type up the words from the story yourself in a large font print them and put them on the previous page.

linzy, good idea! I’m sure old magazine pictures would work for that as well, along with your own made up story. :yes: Although it would be easier if you didn’t have to make up the story, as in your suggestion. :slight_smile:

Me being a parent of 3 children with special needs, I too have hardly anytime to make books my self. But I am in for some suggestions re books with big fonts as well as sometimes I try to read my kids some stories and there are small fonts. They totally lose interest and leave from my side. i want them to actually listen to the story and enjoy it!
My children have autism and this makes it more important to find books that actually grab their attention and are short. As they have very little sitting tolerance and attention spans! Any suggestions?

i try to buy book from market but we dosnt find. so now I am making books for my daughter. this way i can customize the book.

I like the books you made nhockaday ! That looks like a great idea. Thanks and I will look at ebay to try and find those books you requested.

Grover, I didn’t make them. They were made by Your Baby Can Read.

We recently uploaded PDF printouts of the Little Reader stories (there are now 3 of them):

http://www.brillkids.com/download/childrens-ebooks.php

wow…my daughter loves to read, the colors of the rainbow and the new toy when we show her on LR…great…now we can print and read. thanks to brillkids!!

Great to hear. We now also have the 3 Little Pigs!