Reading to your baby/toddler

Hello all! New here to this forum and I wanted to put out feelers about the subject of reading to your baby. I know I’ve heard that reading to your child can be beneficial to their development like in the ways of speech, and introducing them to colors, shapes, words, letters, all that and more.
I have a 1 yr old and a 2 and a half yr old. I should mention the older toddler is our foster care son, the baby, we’re adopting him, and have had him since birth.
Now, if ANYONE LOVES to spend time with their children, and interact with them, and is always hugging, kissing, you name it, it’s me “MOM.” :happy: But I have to admit and confess, that for some reason, when my 1 yr old was a newborn, I didn’t read to him. I’m bad, I know, I never really did, do not know why. Laziness? Maybe I was more focused on getting him fed, changed, and to sleep? I don’t know. God knows I love my lil man. But I have to admit I was feeling bad when we were talking about kids one day at work, and was on this topic, and my older co-worker totally reemed me for not reading to my children, saying that it helps develop their vocabulary and all.
Now, I’ve been trying to correct my “mistake” since, and I’ve been reading to him at night when he’s holding a bottle and calm in my arms, quiet times basically.
But, am I too late? Will my child be behind developmentally because I have not read to him like I should have? You honestly don’t know the guilt I’ve been having with this. lol and I also wonder if nature will take its course and that he will learn by getting to talking age, learning more as he hears us, watching Sesame Street and other porgrams that are his favorite that are his favorite and educational. Anyhow, if you have some advice,or anything to tell me about this subject, it would be gratefully appreciative. But please, I know my mistake, so no judging. :tongue: :slight_smile: Thanks

welcome henstergirl.
Please please don’t worry about not reading to your baby. Yes, it is a great thing to do, but it is only one part. It sounds like you’ve been focusing on the most important part of being a mom, which is caring for his physical and emotional needs. Many many parents NEVER read to their children and they survive and learn to read in school. Now you are in a position to begin reading, do it but without guilt over the past! Best of luck

Oh you won’t be judged in this forum, it’s a safer place then your baby’s cot :yes:
I can answer this one. I didn’t read more than three books to my oldest child before she turned 1. I maybe 6 times read my paper out loud to shut her up on 4-5 occasions. Now I did start to read to her and take her to story and rhymes at the local library one a week from about 14 months. To start it was one book a day, not always age appropriate. Sometimes it was a board book, sometimes it was my book, sometimes it was a poem or nursery rhyme book, often a beautiful pictured story book ( my favourite :slight_smile: She spoke in full sentences, with advanced vocabulary that every one could understand ( yep even my brother on the phone) before she was two. I read all my kids 2 stories most nights before bed now and we squeeze them in through out the day in quiet time. I make an effort to try to add one book a day that is a bit of a stretch for each of them in vocab or reading level, so they are still learning while being read to.
Ok I got off topic…my oldest is now just starting grade three age 8. She is an excellent reader ( at 12 year olds level or higher, testing is this week) her vocab is high, her spelling is incredible, her fluency and expression are great and her favorite thing to do is read a children’s encyclopedia! Most of this I can contribute to the many stories I read to her. We did use some flash cards, inconsistently which sped up the rate at which she learnt to read. We talked ALOT about what we read which did wonders for her general knowledge, and was more fun than doing BOI flash cards. I can tell you it’s not to late for you and your children. I recommend two books a day to be your minimum ( but remember any is better than none!) three would be perfect, it’s not that hard to do if you keep books around the house to remind you and keep some in the car too. Go to the library once a week get any 21 books and aim to read them all! At the age your kids are get beautiful picture books, some poetry books, some alphabet books and a children’s encyclopedia to work through. Buy board books for your little one in shapes and colours, abcs, animals so you can read and reread them. re reading the same books is important to children, we often used the one familiar and one new book a day rule to stop fights :slight_smile:
While you read run your finger under the words, lots of experts say this helps kids learn to read at the very least it is good for their eye development! Read with expression ( even stupidity and exaggeration :tongue: ) and cuddle up.
Oh for over a year bedtime stories didn’t work for us so I did morning stories at 6:00am crazy as it sounds this fitted in nicely to our schedule and was a great way to start the day. B flexible :slight_smile:

Don’t worry, you didn’t “ruin” your child! The best thing to do is start where you are! Try out Little Reader and you will go one step beyond reading TO him, to teaching HIM to read. Yes, reading aloud is important too, but as someone else mentioned, that is only part of it. The Little Reader Storybook series really are the best books to use for teaching him to read, as the words are very large and spaced apart. In trying Little Reader, consider connecting your computer to your television with an HDMI cable or similar, it’s pretty easy to do. If not, that’s okay too!

Start where you are today and you will be AMAZED how fast they learn!! And then the next time you see that mom that chewed you out, you can just smile and know the truth. :slight_smile:

I didn’t read to any of my children at birth. I don’t know why, I guess I was uninformed. I wish I could do that over, but everyone of my 6 children love to read. I started reading to them after their first birthdays. I am sure earlier is better, but now is all you have. You are not too late.

I read many books last year about reading to our kids and a common story that I read was that troubled kids, teens actually, were read to and many were brought to tears. The impact of someone sharing a story with them was so powerful. They had never had anyone read to them and they were overwhelmed by the experience. They vowed to read to their children when they became parents. The power of reading and of stories is never outgrown.