Reading method

For those of you having success w/teaching your baby to read what kind of protocol are you using? Are you following Doman’s suggestion of only showing the word 15 times, or are you showing it until it appears your child can recognize it (more of a YBCR format)?

Really depends on interest levels. There are some categories which Felicity couldn’t get enough of, and I think we ended up showing her the words for way more than 15 times in total. Let that number be a guide, but don’t let it restrict you. Just go with the flow!

as kl says it must be depend on the interest level of child. the more you show the high would be the memory

I also show according to interest level - the animals and wild animals categories on Little Reader have been shown about 80+ times to my daughter while other ones that she seems less interested in she sees less. As they learn more words they need less than the 15 repetitions to remember them too - in fact many children can learn words after only one or two viewings when they have been reading for a while.

Do you find that using realistic pictures seems to hold a child interest more?

As far as teaching reading methods I used the the montessori approach (3 period lesson) : first, point out and say a group of words/pictures; next say show me a specific word/picture; then last ask what is this. The montessori approach also incorporates a lot of sensory experiences (sandpaper letters, movable alphabet, flashcards with 3D objects, etc) I also used the Spalding writing road to reading (70 phonograms of the english language) - tools for sounding out words, not just sight reading.

Also lots of modeling reading, lots of reading, using books-on-tape, and a program called readplease (cut/copy paste text from internet - and it highlights each word as it is spoken)

Yes, definitely, realistic pictures and photos are best!

I use sight reading first and never counted how many times we flash words as long as there is interest and introduce phonics with A Beka workbooks and cards. (they call them special sounds though they have a lot more than 70)