Reading & Math

Hi all,

I just want your suggestions on when I can start the math program with my baby. He will complete 7 months in a couple of weeks. We have been doing the reading program for 2 months now. We are just doing single words. Right now, we have done about 130 words. When should I start couplets? I want to show him at least another 150 single words, at least all the dolch words and other basic words.

I plan to start the Math program when he completes 8 months. Can I keep showing him single words till he completes 8 months and start couplets and math together, so that we focus more on math? Or can I continue with singles and couplets and also math…but I feel that would be too many sessions in a day. Or do you think I need to postpone math a little longer?

Has anyone done the reading and math program together? When did you start the math program and how did you manage to do both the programs. Please pour in your inputs.

Questers.

Many people are doing both reading and math at the same time.

Whether you do both and how long you do each for, as well as how long you show them for, largely depends on your child’s interest levels and attention span, which will also be different at different ages.

I don’t believe in hard rules. There is no such thing. At most, only suggested guidelines. As for me, I wouldn’t hesitate showing couplets or even complete sentences from very early on. The good thing is that it gives the lesson VARIETY, which helps keep the interest.

I would also show some math lessons and gauge interest levels. If no interest, then maybe keep them till later, but you won’t know unless you try!

:slight_smile: