Reading "Catwings" at 3 years

Here’s my little boy, 3 years and 4 months old, reading one long sentence from Ursula Le Guin’s great kid’s book “Catwings.” The sentence is: “The next day, when Harriet and Roger flew cautiously out of the woods and hovered over the stump, Susan was sitting about fifteen feet away.” See our other videos for when he was reading at 29 months and 33 months. So this one is basically just a progress report…

That’s great! I love that book!

Awesome! Newspapers next!!! :biggrin:

Thank you! :biggrin:

very inspiring! you are one dedicated dad! karma to you!

Awesome! Your son has made impressive progress and your set of videos demonstrate just what can be achieved. Karma.

Chris.

Hi Daddude,

I have a daughter at the same age. She was born in May '06. She must have started reading only 2 months before she turned three but some how she just took flight. I mean, she would now be happy to pick up books like Curious George and read on her own.

Your video is an inspiration. I am going to start introducing more challenging books to her.

Thanks!

Thanks, George, great to see another Dad in this henhouse. :biggrin:

May '06, big coincidence!

That’s great–“somehow she just look flight.”

My view (something I think Mem Fox said in her book about reading to kids) is it’s important to use books at all levels for a child. Read a few that are really easy and comforting, mostly books that are right on their level, and a few books that “push the envelope.” The easy books are fun, the books on the level solidify skills, and the advanced books introduce new vocabulary and sentence structures, etc., which is important.

My little guy is May '06 also. What a funny coincidence. He is really only reading simple books at this time, but I guess you’d say it was about a first grade reading level. I think he can read more than he does for me though. He will only agree to read to me easy books, but then he recognizes words and says things about books/signs that would lead me to believe he was reading them, although based on the books he will read to me I would have thought it was above his current level. He is a very sensitive little guy though and easily embarrassed when he is wrong (although I try to make it fun and no stress) so I wonder if that has something to do with it.

I have been thinking about using your cards DadDude. I even printed some out, but he seems to prefer learning to read by sounding out the words/learning the rules as they appear in books than flashcards (although we try to review some flashcards we have a few times a week). However, the methodical approach does appeal to me, then I could feel more confident that his reading skills didn’t have gaps…maybe I will try them a few at a time and see if he will go for it.

Very inspiring! :slight_smile: You’ve got one very good reader DadDude! :slight_smile:

Linzy this is exactly how i am using Dad dude cards with Tina . we don’t flash them at all , i started by sounding them out but like you i found out she knew more than i thought she knew , so she would stop me and sound them out herself then read the word .
you can remind him of the rules when you come accross them in the cards.
viv