Reading Brag!

My 4 year old daughter recently had a neurodevelopmental evaluation. While she did well in all areas, as usual, reading is where she amazed us all. She was evaluated 4 months ago at a 2nd grade level. She is now at grade 3 - 9th month!

Until the mid 1980’s it was believed that kids with Down syndrome could not even learn to read at all! I am so amazed that my daughter is reading so well at her age, but I am baffled by the fact that the “professionals” thought this was not possible until so recently.

Here is a link to a recent video of my daughter reading:

http://downsyndromeupupupandaway.blogspot.com/2012/01/happy-new-year.html

Thank you very much for sharing!

Your daughter is so adorable!

YOUR VIDEO is so inspiring!

Awesome Job both of you!! :biggrin:

Nice job you two! This is very, very inspiring! The video is so precious.

I’m curious how the evaluators react when she does do well. And it’s also awesome that they are testing in a way that will reveal it. I know some of the time kids can hit the ceiling on a test, and the testers won’t necessarily have known to (or simply won’t) test above the typical ranges.

By the way, your daughter reads significantly better than my neuro-“typical” 5 year old!

I love it. Thanks for sharing. :slight_smile:

What a little sweetie! You’ve clearly done an amazing job teaching her, and she’s done an amazing job learning! Karma to you. :slight_smile:

Your little one is lucky to have a mama so involved.
I find a lot of inspiration in both of you.
Thanks!!
:unsure: :unsure: :yes: :yes:

That is awesome news! What an inspiration to those of us with special needs kids just starting BK.

Great job!

Woooohooooo! :biggrin:

That is truly an amazing video and incredibly inspiring for us all. Your daughter is so gorgeous. What was the reaction of the team who evaluated her? I hope that they gave you the chance to educate them about how to teach young children!!
Well done to you both.

Beautiful!!! Thank you for sharing, it was really inspiring. How long have you been teaching her?

What a cutie :smiley: Thank you so much for sharing this with us :slight_smile: She is so clear and confident. What a wonderful Mom you are to have given her the opportunity to achieve her highest potential.

Thanks everyone! :biggrin:

We have been teaching K to read since she was about 6 months but didn’t get very consistent until she was about 18 months.

The ladies who evaluated her are neurodevelopmentalists, so they already understand how young children can learn. We are trying to educate others though as the opportunity arises. It is much easier now that she is so verbal. We really didn’t think we would be believed when she was younger & unable to prove her abilities.

That’s wonderful…I am reading Bright From the Start by Jill Stamm and your story solidfies the fact that the brain has the exceptional ability to grow and develop beyond what we preciously thought.

Well done Mommy! Your deserve a pat on the back and much more :smiley:

you are WONDERFUL mommy. I have read all topics in your blog and I was admired both you and your daughter. now I followed your advice to help your child to read. Thanks a lot and congratulations :slight_smile: :yes: :biggrin: