Reading Bear is complete!

All, I can now announce with great pleasure that Reading Bear is complete! All 50 presentations are published, and while we still have a few tweaks to make before we start getting really loud about it, it’s all there!

Here it is: [b]http://www.ReadingBear.org/[/b]

Thank you all very much for your comments, bug reports, feature requests, and (for about 8-10 of you) volunteer work on the site.

For the next month-ish I guess I’ll be promoting it, mostly. After that, I’m not sure we’re immediately going to develop any more software for it, mostly because we’ve spent a lot of money on it. I believe I’m going to be free–and assigned–to start churning out more presentations like these ones. I’m also going to make videos of old ones. The idea is that once a very large body of work is prepared, we’ll see what we can do about putting it into the Reading Bear format. Frankly, I look forward to spending most of my time simply writing. Who knows–I might be able to develop on the order of thousands of those things, if I’m working on them full-time.

That is the most exciting and awesome news I have heard in a while! :yes:

My daughter is a fluent reader already, so we haven’t used Reading Bear much, but we are HUGE fans of your powerpoint and video presentations. She has watched some of them so many times she has them memorized verbatim. lol And, I am very much looking forward to using Reading Bear with our next baby!

Thank you very much for your hard work and generosity! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Yahoo! Thank you so much for this. There are members of my homeschooling group that have expressed how neat they think this site is. I concur. :slight_smile:

thank for your kindness! you have done best things for our children. I am a huge fan of your presentations, too. :biggrin: Let’s start Reading Bear! :yes: :yes: :yes:

My child 3.5 yrs old…recognises capital alphabets very well but not small ones. So can I start up directly with your program or shoul I first teach him recognition of small alphabets…???
But let me tell you one thing…your website is just beyond excellent. And you are doing really great work. YOU are boon for homeschoolers…!! Thanks a ton…!!

That’s great news! What a wonderful achievement and appreciated by so many. Can’t wait to see what unfolds with your presentations. We are big fans in our house!

Definitely teach recognition of the lowercase letters first. In addition, make sure your child knows the sounds of the consonants as well. The Reading Bear approach is to take things in small, easy, child-friendly steps, and not move on until the previous step has been mastered. If your child can’t recognize letters or letter sounds, then I think you’ll find Reading Bear a struggle. I’m not saying it would do no good, or that a child couldn’t learn the lowercase letters by induction from the many examples in Reading Bear itself, I’m just saying that there are better tools available for learning the more basic steps to reading.

All–thanks for your support! It is always much appreciated!

awesome! we are going to go check it out : )

Larry, thank you so much for your diligent work on such a wonderful project!! Your contribution to the world will be all the more immortalized in the depth and breath of knowledge shared from those who will learn to read that much sooner, thanks to their free access to reading bear :slight_smile: Yay - Round of Applause!

Awesome! I’ve been waiting impatiently for the rest of the presentations so my toddler can make more progress in phonics. Here they are now! Thank you so much DadDude and all the volunteers. Your effort is priceless!

You can thank Heidi as our #1 volunteer!

Question to everyone: have you noticed, lately (as in the last week or two), a tendency of Reading Bear to be off by a fraction of a second in how the audio and text flashing match up? I have this problem on my desktop machine, but the programmers say it’s not a problem for them–but then, they’re closer to the server, which I believe is in New Jersey. “Yes, I’m having this problem” would be helpful, but so would “No, I’m not.”

Yes, we have that problem too.

We just started using Reading Bear, and we love it!!! She calls all of her teddy bears “Reading Bear” now lol

We have only used it twice, and have not noticed that the audio and text are off. We have a very slow desktop and it seems to be doing fine here in Oregon.

Thank you so much for all your work! We appreciate it and have told the local school about it. They are going to use it with some of their students!

If I use Chrome my text and audio are always off. If I use Firefox it works fine.

That’s what our internal testing is telling us: it works with Firefox. But why doesn’t it work so well with IE and Chrome?

I also have issues playing Hulu in chrome. Lots of lag. But no problem using it in Firefox. Maybe there is something similar going on.

Rudimentary googling, so not fact but something to look into…
Apparently Firefox runs flash internally, whereas chrome runs it as a seperate application.

@Korrale4kq, I passed that along to the programmers. Thanks.

Another question for Reading Bear users/testers! If you do use Firefox, are you having any problems using that? I myself can’t get it to work in my (updated) version of Firefox! It works useably in Chrome, although the timing is a little off. We’re still figuring things out…

We normally use firefox and we were having a problem with the audio and video not being synched well. It seems like the last couple of times we have used it I haven’t noticed any problems. It was maybe a touch off but really for the most part okay.