Reading activities?

I am looking for different reading activities to do with my 1 year old. I flash cards to her almsot every day, but she has not shown me she is recognizing any words. I am going to keep going of course. But she is starting to lose interest in flashing words. I want to know if anyone has activities or reading games they dowith their young ones. Thanks!

how about dvds like leapfrog, ybcr, tweedlewink?
or website like www.starfall.com ?

or just read books to her , like oxford reading tree.?

Thank you. We did the while YBCR program and I sometimes show them again. We also do tweedlewink sometimes. I wish we had Internet here, I only have my iPhone for Internet. They do have some amazing apps for kids though. What is Oxford?

http://www.oup.com/oxed/primary/oxfordreadingtree/new_resources/

A one year old is a bit more difficult to have a large range of activities to do regarding reading as many of the activities I usually suggest involve movement and a 1 year old may not be walking sufficiently well. So will try and list some both active and less active:

1. flashcards as you wre doing
  2. reading actual books - try and use board books, bath books and normal books and for actual reading pick many books with only one to two words per page (they still need longer books too though)
  3. Little Reader of Powerpoint flashcard sessions
  4. the alphabet - I only started this with my DD at 18 months and used flashcards that I stuck on the wall
  5. Try playing with laminated flashcards in the bath
  6. Letters and numbers in the bath or on the fridge
  7. Point out words and letters anywhere and everywhere - street signs, letters in the roads, on envelopes, on cereal boxes - anywhere where she is and is looking - in the supermarket was a great place when my DD was about 15 months old.
  8. Letters and words on the T, remote controls etc, use basic computer progrmammes (starfall can even be used very young)
  9. give her a shopping list to carry with her when you are out shopping with her and show her you ticking off items as you get them
  10. Write and post a letter to someone she knows.
  11. Write a VERY SHORt letter to her and post it into your own post box.
  12. Alphabet and number blocks for building towers - you could even make your own ones with words on them and then see if she can throw them then read her the word on top.

I love the idea of ‘posting’ mail to your child to encourage them to get excited about reading. Bit soon for us to do that but i’ve written it down in my notebook of ideas! Thanks Tanikit, GREAT idea!

Label EVERYTHING about and around the house. Put them on strips of index cards and laminate them with broad clear tape (which doubles as tape! yay!)

Read, read, read. Read books too her, with her, around her.

Between the Lions DVDs, Starfall (if she cares for it) and watch reading and phonics videos on Youtube.
Powerpoint LR-style words of interest.

Point out the written word and of course dont stop using the program even if you have to modify it a bit. Maybe do fewer cards, or cut back on one or two of the “daily” showings.

those are great ideas!