Questions on routine for learning? Any advice would be great

Hi everyone,

I am following a little routine I have set up for myself and my dd and I would like your advice on it.

I show everyday 2 lessons of little reader 2 lessons of little math and 2 lessons of 10 catogories split into 5 of EK to my dd every day almost without fail. (all on the computer)

My question is this, do you think that is enough for her to grasp reading, maths and EK? I am concerned that the medium I am using (the computer) may not be the best way to teach her? I am wondering if she would ‘pick up’ a lot more if I was to show traditional flashcards rather than computer flashcards? I work so I wanted to have the most impact and get the most information across to her in the shortest space in time and now im not too sure if it is working? I do not have voice overs on my presentations so it is my voice so there is more interaction (The only other voice over i use is for foreign language) Do you think what I am doing is okay?

Does anyone also had trouble with there child getting stuck in couplets or focusing on one word instead of seeing two words? I noticed when I do couplets for example blue hat she seems to focus on the word hat rather then seeing two words like blue hat? and if this has happened with your child how did you get passed it?

I have also noticed her interest in books go up she is happy to sit with a book and point out flowers, stars, animals? Is this a step in becoming a fluent reader?

Anyhoo any advice would be very much appreciated,

I look forward to your responses.

Kimbaxx

Anybody???

Didnt notice this post until you said “anybody”.

Cant go past books. The more the merrier. The brillkids seems enough per day but using tangible hands on materials like flashcards and magnetic/foam letters and a write-on erasable slate are all good ideas as well. Every child is different, and I find my 6 month old has difficulty looking at the computer screen…she will turn her head left or right but not look straight ahead at the screen. So a variety of methods is best I reckon. I wrote out some words and stuck them to the bottom half of the fridge with clear contact so they’re hard to get off. And of course labelling objects around the house. Find a blue hat or a pink dress and write a flash card to go with them… I also buy cheap books with simple word/picture pages, tear out pages and laminate them so they are easier to access without pages getting ripped.

I didn’t use the computer much for teaching so I am not sure. I did notice that my baby would, could and did read much faster mentally than what we were looking at. He also would focus on a specific word in sentences and couplets. I continually pointed from left to right to be sure he understood that is how we read. When children learn to read as babies they read much faster and can scan a sentence or a paragraph and get the main gist of what is being said. I would always slow him down and point at the words. We used lots of homemade books. I must have at least 75 books that I made for my kids and with large writing and pictures after each page of text. I think these were helpful because we would sit and read many times throughout the day.