Questions about BOI/POI

BOI/POI seems to be the part of Doman programs that is the most resource intensive and difficult to prepare.

I’d be very interested in hearing about how you all manage to do it, and your strategies (and challenges) in putting together your programs. What takes the most time? What takes the most effort? Is it finding appropriate illustrations, or deciding on good topics (or both?).

Reading through the forum, I see that there is (was?) a collaboration group; is the group still actively collaborating?

I have been writing POI books and putting them in powerpoint. I put ten sentences and appropriate pictures. I am doing artist and composer biographies.
I also have several presentations of works of art. I have done the first magnitude on them. This week I am writing in the 2nd magnitude. I write over the first one. It costs me nothing but time. Money is a factor.Ink is expensive. I simply can’t print out all of my bits.

When you say 1st magnitude does that mean one fact about each illustration?

Are you able to use presentations by other parents much? Or do you mostly find that you need to make your own?

I use whatever I find that suits my purpose. As to your question about magnitudes, I don’t know what you mean. I recently started doing EK. I either put together ten (or so) sentences about a subject and make it into a book. This works well for people. If I do it in powerpoint, I alternate the sentences with pictures. If no picture fits my sentence I put a picture of the person again. This isn’t traditional method, though.
I’ve also done powerpoints with ten works of art. I have sentence, picture, sentence, picture. When we need to do the next magnitude, I just need to change the sentences.
I save a picture of something on my desktop. Every time I turn the computer on we do that picture.
For most people I think the issue is time. I am the opposite. I can make the time. I don’t have the money to spend right now. With the internet and a little ingenuity, I can do a great program that costs me next to nothing.

I’ll try to explain my question…

In your first post you said:

And in the second, you said:

I’m not sure what you mean by magnitude.

Is one sentence about each illustration “a magnitude”?

“Magnitude” is simply the word Doman uses. Yes, I mean a sentence. I usually have 10 -12 facts about each thing- person, painting, artist, etc. Sometimes we do all ten facts about one thing- which I call a book. Sometimes I do ten different pictures in a category with each picture having one fact. When I get around to that category again I put in a different fact. There are examples of POI in downloads if you want to see.

Ah! Thank you for the clarification.

Has your baby showed a preference yet?

She talks more about the ones I put in “book” form.