Question on Teaching My Toddler to Read

Hello everyone. I just purchased Little Reader for my daughter, and I plan on beginning it today. She is 2 years 9 months old. Is she too old to begin the program? I seen that you can start the program as early as 4 months old. Obviously, I am a little late for that! I wanted to know if anybody else has started their child on this program at approximately 2.5 years old. Did your child hold interest in the program? Do you have any tips/tricks on making this experience successful for us? I am super excited about begining this. Wish us luck!

Thanks!!

You’re not too late - it may be a little harder for your daughter to sit still than a four month old so maybe just be really aware and in tune and follow her lead with the length of the sessions.

The tip to success is lots of fun between the two of you and not expecting the program to do all the work. The parents who are most successful are the ones who follow it up.

Have a great time with it, there are few things as precious as watching your young child read, read well and love reading.

Best of luck

adsicilla,

you are not alone. i will purchase LR English and Chinese when I go home tonight and plan to start this program with my 27 month old. hope she can read by 3 years old.

Our son is the kind of kid asking me as often as he can to “show him something” on the screen.
Even at this age (29 months) he can sit still for a while and enjoy and have fun watching and hearing and seeing the words or dots or cars or whatever. This along with eating and playing with the children outside are his most favourite activities.
I think it depends on the kid’s personality too, but usually they enjoy anything that’s new and that uses many ways - visual, audio etc. What’s more, when we do this together - watch the video by singing along, signing etc. - we have much fun.
In few weeks time we will have LR and LM. For now we are using YBCR. So, he’s “old” too for these programmes! :wink:

The great thing about Little Reader is that it is so adaptable - you can learn to programme it so that you show your daughter what she is interested in - you could try the curriculum but at her age you may get more success making your own slides to show her as her interests may be slightly more specific - start with what most interests her and work from there. If you have photos on your computer of her then maybe try making a category of her family or pets or things close to her and uploading your own photos as this should hold her interest well.

She is definitely not too old for LR however you yourself may find that you need a steep learning curve to keep up with her as 27 month olds are slightly more demanding and want more change and probably less repetition than a 4-6 month old, but even that you need to try out first to see. Have fun!

Also Sidney Ledson wrote a book on teaching children to read (phonetically) with a game. Its gotten great reviews, its called Teach Your Child to Read in 10 Minutes a Day.

You dont have to do one program and only one program. Your daughter may enjoy the “word-sound game” and Little Reader equally and enjoy both.