Question on Shichida's Memory Linking (ML) activities

If i have do ML at my home, since we dont have Shichida schools out here in Canada. How can i achieve it.

I do have a background understanding of ML, but not sure at what age what is done and its frequency in the way its done. Also, a set consist of how many pictures,

I would appreciate, if you could tell as to how is it done at schools. Is it that ull get a set every month to be done at home and then every month you’ll just add to the existing set or is it that every month you’ll have a new story.

Also are they any rules defined for doing memory linking.

• Can i use the same pictures more than one time in the same story

• Does ur child need to know the picture first before i start using these pictures in LM

• How do u’ll remember the story line for the picture, do you read it or is it spontaneous. Are they any better ways

• How many cards should i introduce per day

• When do i introduce new cards

• What is the frequency of doing this program, is it 3 times per day

• Should i ask my child to recall the cards in the squence after I have showed her all the cards for that session. Or should i ask her after to recall the cards after I have done with her couple of sessions.

• What is the expected count of images a 2 year old child should recall

• Should you create multiple stories of 50-100 cards, or just add extra pictures to the existing story

• What are the stages in Memory Linking. What i mean is how would a memory linking session be different for a 2 year old v/s 3-7 years old. What are the stages in memory linking, how do i progress with it

Could you please share your experiences

Hi JudyMendes,

I just want to share with you the knowledge that I know.

My boy is now 23 months old. He started with Shichida class when he was 18 months old. The teacher in Shichida class will introduce 5 cards. She will read out the story and at the same time show 5 picture cards. For child below 2 years old, they will not be able to know which card comes 1st and followed by the second cards and so on. So, the child is asked to pick up the right cards. Eg, if you have apple, orange, strawberry, papaya and watermelon, the teacher will say, please pick up papaya. then the child will choose the papaya cards. if the child doesn’t understand, the parent will step in and help the child to choose the papaya card. Almost every week of the lesson, Linking memory is played. Each week, the sets of cards are different. For now that he is 23 months old, Shichida class introduce about 6 pictures to the child in one linking memory story. Some of the pictures my boy knows and some of them he doesn’t.

The teacher will read the story and at the same time, flash the cards for the chilld. After finishing the story, the teacher will repeat the cards by only saying the name of the object. then the child will have to arrange the cards followed by the sequece that he/she saw. If the child is unable to arrange, parent will help. then the teacher will ask the child to pick up the cards accordingly. like when teacher says, pick up the ambulance, the child will take ambulance and show to the teacher. Once the sequece is right (with or without the help of parent), the teacher will ask the child to capture the sequence. the teacher will say :“use your special eyes to captures the images” then all 6 cards will be flipped over and now, the child will face the blank side of the cards. then the teacher will ask the child to try and pick up the right cards. the teacher will say pick up the ambulance, so, the child will try to remember the position of the ambulance card and open it.

Can i use the same pictures more than one time in the same story
I dont see the teacher using the same cards. so, I also produce my own cards with no repetation unless the cards are stopped for more then few months.

Does ur child need to know the picture first before i start using these pictures in LM.
No. Some of the cards, my son doesn’t know at all but once we introduce the cards to him, surprisingly he can remeber the cards easily.

How do u’ll remember the story line for the picture, do you read it or is it spontaneous. Are they any better ways
When you prepare the picture cards, you will also have to have a story line for the pictures. so, it’s not spontaneous. it’s planned.

How many cards should i introduce per day
no limit, if you child can take more, you can make more for a story. for the start, can start with 3 pictures for one story and slowly increase to make more pictures with longer story.

When do i introduce new cards
for what i see from the class, each time, new cards are being introduced. so, i suppose that we can introduce new cards anytime.

What is the frequency of doing this program, is it 3 times per day
for our home practice, we only do it once a day but I believe that there is no harm to pratice more time a day as long as the session is not stressed up and the child wants more.

Should i ask my child to recall the cards in the squence after I have showed her all the cards for that session. Or should i ask her after to recall the cards after I have done with her couple of sessions.
yes.recall right after the session. i introduce my son with 6 pictures and i read out the story for him and flash the cards and also repeat the object only once and to my surprise that he remmebers all the object.just that he is still not good at the sequence.

What is the expected count of images a 2 year old child should recall
no expectation. just try your best to teach the child. when he/she can’t get the right answer, just tell he/she “good try”. and show her the right answer.

Should you create multiple stories of 50-100 cards, or just add extra pictures to the existing story
50-100 cards are for older kids. so, I cannot commend much for older kids. but for my understanding, each lesson that we attanded for SM, the stories are different and the cards are different too. Example, for last week class, the teacher will have 6 pictures in one story. then this week, teacher will have 6 new pictures with another new story. For last year, we used 5 picutre snad this year, we have 6 pictures. so, slowly, the numbers of cards will increase within a story following the age of the child.

What are the stages in Memory Linking. What i mean is how would a memory linking session be different for a 2 year old v/s 3-7 years old. What are the stages in memory linking, how do i progress with it
i am not sure about 3-7 years old. as for now from 1 and 2 years old, it’s the number of cards that is increasing. so, I suppose that older child will have to remember more cards.

hope that helps you a little.

cheers,
verolpj

you really need to be trained to be able to train your child, it is better to go for proper lesson, if Sichida is not in Canada, may be can try to start the franchise of a similar programme - Little Neuro Tree (www.littleneurotree.com) :smiley: