Question about math facts

Hi everyone!

I am curious about teaching math facts. We are working on simple addition & subtraction right now. It would be very easy to fast flash math facts & have my daughter memorize them but I want her to be able to figure the equations out for herself. If I taught the facts I think she probably wouldn’t want to put the effort into figuring them out. The reason I am wondering about this is the other day when I as in the grade 1-3 classroom (yes our school is triple graded :laugh: :slight_smile: ) they had math facts on the board for kids to memorize. I’d love to hear everyone’s input on this!

Memorising is fine. I questioned it too but decided that so long as eventually kids learn how to figure out the answer it is awesome to have them memorised as soon as possible.
To ensure they can figure out what the facts mean use plenty of word problems in your daily life. Pick up two toys then ask “if I pick up those two how many will I have?” Ask a few each day u til you are sure the concept is understood.

Thanks Manda! I like that suggestion too - incorporating it into everyday life will be easier than trying to add on I’ve more thing along with our already busy neurodevelopmental program.

Such a nice idea…I think it is very helpful for kids. But we are also used other technology like Math application it is helpful for child.

I am trying to teach math facts to my son too. I’ve used the 100 board to teach my son simple math facts, base 10, skip counting, and numeral order
This is the board we have used.

http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss334/ellehajos/7eecf32c-2030-4964-8e19-d23e46315432_zpsd9924a93.jpg

When we first started, I only used 1-30 chart and later worked my way up to 1-50. It was easy, just let your child match the number tiles with the numbers on the board. When he is getting better, remove all the numbers from the board. Ask your child to build his own "number board’ using the blank grid chart. A child who has worked with the board for a while will know exactly where each number is. For example, if there is number 5 on the board, my son will know that 15 is below 5 because 15 is 10 more than 5. 6 is on the right because it is 1 more, and 4 is on the left because it’s 1 less than 5. :biggrin:

I also use the arrow to teach number order too. The arrow is showing the number direction.
" —>" means 1 more or move one box to the right. “<—” means 1 box to the left, and it’s 1 less. Arrow up means 10 less, and arrow down means 10 more.
2 arrows represent 2 boxes, and etc.

Supposedly, we are doing +2 and -2. My son holds the board in his hand, looks at the equation, and use the board to find the answer.
To me, this is better than memorizing math facts because he visualizes the board in his head and understand number orders. I am hoping to take a way the number board and just let him give me the answers from memory. lol

My baby can do it. I teach him 3 years. Glenn Doman method with http://glenn-doman.com/tag/flashcard/ so good.

That is an excellent approach which I will try to replicate when the time comes ( 8months old at the moment). Thank you for sharing!