Question about LM v2

KL,

You mentioned in a post a while back that version 2 of Little Math will include an abacus function or abacus lessons. Will it be based on the Chinese suanpan or Japanese soroban?

Thanks!

Oh wow I have not heard of this! Exciting!!

I hope Soroban :biggrin: But I know there are fans of both.

I was thinking about this. I was wondering if BK would chose soroban because there are more resources to teach it in general for extended learning once the kids “graduate” from LM, or perhaps they would have an option to select your preference? Or maybe Chinese abacus would be chosen because BK is based in HK?

Hmmmm…I guess we’ll wait and see!

It will be based on the Japanese soroban, as that’s the most commonly used, even in abacus classes in Hong Kong, in fact.

As far as I know, hardly anyone uses the Chinese abacus anymore because nowadays not many people count with base 16!

However, before you guys get your hopes up, there are a long list of things to do first before we turn our attention back to Little Math… :mellow:

That’s ok, KL. We will be waiting patiently… 8)

I haven’t started abacus with Ella yet but will be starting soon and I just wanted to find out which one LM will be using so she won’t get confused later. I was leaning towards soroban anyway, since most of the materials I could find online here in the US and even in HK use the soroban.

Thanks a lot! :slight_smile: