question about flash cards and encyclopedic knowledge

I know that according to the Doman method (and right brain teaching), we are supposed to flash rapidly, but what do we do with flashcards that we want to give more information than just the word? Like for example, with states, what if I wanted to say the name, the capital and some other info? And this is more teaching encyclopedic knowledge than just reading.
Can anyone fill me in? Is anyone using the Doman encyclopedic knowledge program?

I think that if you wanted to do that, you should just treat it as the ‘multisensory’ method and take your time over each word.

Personally, I chose not to teach encyclopedic-type stuff to Felicity because I would much rather spend the time teaching her other stuff, like other languages, math, music, etc. It really does not bother me one bit that I’m not teaching her things like all the different types of flowers or insects, many of which I myself would not even have heard of (nor feel it’s important to know). I’m not saying that these things are useless, but it’s very very far down the priority ladder for me.

I will try to explain in more details how Doman recommends teaching baby encyclopedic knowledge.

We should start by showing categories of related pictures (just to remind - picture=BIT of inteligence-must have accurate detail, must be one item only, must be specifically named, must be new, large and clear). Fist you should start introducing 3 categories of 10 pictures each, very fast, the best 10-15 sec for each category. Rules for adding new and retiring old cards are the same as I mentioned earlier - after about 10 days (it may be earlier - depends of your child) every day retire 1 old and add 1 new picture to each category. If your baby wants you can refresh categories even faster (but never slower).

When you have taught your child 1,000 Bit of Inteligence cards, you should start creating Program of Intelligence. Each new program within a category adds a higher magnitude, starting with the most simple information and ending with the most profound.

Example:Division: Biology
Category: Birds
Bit of Intelligence card: Common Crow
1st Magnitude Program: Crows build nests in trees or bushes.
2ndMagnitude Program: Crows’ nests are made of twigs lined with grass or hair.
3rd Magnitude Program: Crows eat insects, seed, fruit and nuts.
4th Magnitude Program: Crows have been known to eat mollusks, dead animals, mice, eggs, fish, garbage, rubber, puttz and plastic insulation.
5th Magnitude Program: The female cow raises one brood per year.
6th Magnitude Program: The voice of the crow is hars and loud, not musical.
7th Magnitude Program: Crows are part of the Corvidae Family.
and it can go on and on…
Initially you should aim to do a Program of Intelligence of the 1st Magnitude on every retired card in all your categories. As you complete this step you begin to build to higher and higher magnitudes in all of the categories.

And finally how to teach Program of Intelligence:
One session should consist of no more than five programs. Programs take longer to read aloud than Bit of Intelligence cards and in order to keep sessions short you need to do fewer of them.
So for example you take 5 retired cards of birds and you say as you show them:
Crow - “Crows build nests in trees or bushes.”
Robin - “Robins have red breasts and gray wings.”
Bluejay - …
Mockingbird - …
Cardinal Grosbeak - …
This should take about 10-15 seconds. You can also choose to use large-print sentences instead of showing the actual Bit of Intelligence card. Whatever you decide, it should be very fast and fun.

You should befin with 5 categories of 5 program each. Do each category three times in the day. You can expang this to include as many categories as you wish. After 5 days retire all the programs and put in five new programs in each category. This means a new program will be done three times over five days, to total fifteen times before being retired. If you wish you can retire and add new ones faster.

When you have done many Programs of Intelligence of the Fist Magnitude you begin to teach programs of the Second Magnitude. And then third and so on…

Doman’s general rules of teaching aply here as well.

• Begin as young as possible.
    Be joyous at all times.
    Respect and trust your child.
    Teach only when you and your child are happy.
    Create a good learning environment.
    Stop before your child wants to stop.
    Introduce new materials often.
    Be organized and consistent.
    Do not test your child.
    Prepare your materials carefully and stay ahead.
    Remember the Fail-Safe Law: If you are not having a wonderfull time and your child is not having a wonderful time - stop. You are doing something wrong.

:wink:

Thank you Martina. That helps. Have you tried the program?

So basically, you start by just showing the bits and saying the name of what you’re showing (just like the reading program). Then later (after you have been through all the bits) give more info on them.

That is right Nikki, simply said. lol
And no, I have not tried the program yet since it is so demanding for gathering and preparing information. :frowning:

Well someone said Target had flash cards for a dollar, so I went and spent like $25 on various $1 teaching supplies! I got states, insects, landmarks, presidents and space flash cards for encyclopedic knowledge. They all have great info on the back. So I have started showing then just with the names for now. And I also got some sight words and phonics.

I am in the process of starting the encyclopedic knowledge program. It requires alot of prep work! I got all those cards at Target, except the space ones, will have to go back for those. I found a space place mat though, and a flower one too! I am waiting to get started until I have my ten catagories ready. I will probably start next month. I actually went out and got a teachers lesson plan book to keep track of everything. Right now we are doing quantity dots in math, we start equations on Monday, 5 sets of words cards, and next Monday we add couplets to the vocabulary. I am doing a LITTLE bit of the physically superb activities also. No wonder Doman recommends “professional” parents! I really wish being a mom paid as well as being a pharmacist!

The space ones are really cool, I also got the placemats for when Gabriel gets older. I think I got like 5 or 6 different ones. If you find anymore cheap flashcards anywhere, let me know. I got some at the Dollar Tree, but they are preschool types.

Right now I am showing Tweedlewink lessons and math lessons once a day. YBCR videos twice a day + the companion flash cards/sliding cards/books. Little Reader 3 categories + 1 math category 3 times a day. Plus, now the new flash cards 5 categories of 5 cards each 3 times a day. It seems like a lot, but everything is really quick, and he loves it! He still has plenty of time for baby stuff, but I think he prefers looking at flash cards and videos over playing!

Are you going to follow the Doman method as Martina recommended, or are you going to do something else?

Yes I am doing the Doman method. The lesson plan book helps me plan well in advance, so the other people showing the cards to the kiddos know what to do. And it gives me something useful to do on my lunch break at work!

The reason I am able to do so much with Gabriel is b/c I am with him all day. Since I have not purchased any Doman books or dvds, and I am doing more than just flash cards, I think I am going to adapt my teaching to be similar to his, but my own.

I already show Ayden the My Baby Can Read series videos. I’m a SAHM and what to do more so reading your post has inspired me. I think we will make a trip to Target and see if I can set up a program for Ayden to follow.

Great! I hope you read through some other posts. There are a lot of different programs out there, and many parents talk about them here on the forums!

Everytime i think i got the hang of it I discover other new stuff ! It really is an ocean of knowledge, isn’t it! :wink:

Well at least you’ll be more prepared than the rest of us when you have a baby!

I think its Ok to be flexible… I think I’d go crazy if I had to follow Doman to the letter, even though the guy’s my hero. I do different things everyday, and although at 8 months azaria isnt necessarily reading, I think by 1 year she’ll be streets ahead of my other kids at 1 year. (they’re much older and I didnt have access to the educational videos/DVDs we have now).
I vary what she watches… I bought Tweedlewink but she gets bored with the encyclopedic knowledge part if there are no words flashed on the screen (she loves seeing words) It’s a costly set…$256 to buy and ship 7 DVDs to australia. :frowning:
I just started BabyBit, which has 7 hours of lessons Doman-style, but is just maths and reading focused. I have 2 English and 2 Spanish Dvds, at $100 each. :frowning: Its expensive, but at least that frees me up to do other things :happy:. I don’t have the time to flash cards all day!
I have other sets…Baby Bumblebee is Ok, but no-where near enough word-flashing or commentary, Brainy baby is excellent…the Animals DVD is packed full of info…a baby horse is a foal, a group of lions is a pride, giraffes are the tallest land animals…supports encyclopaedic knowledge flashcards in a slower way. Baby Einstein, Baby Genius, Baby Babble, so smart, baby brainworks, Galloping minds, Montessori house, My baby can talk are not my favourites for a baby. I do like baby See’n sign…lots and lots of signs. Bubby’s absolute favourite is Your baby Can Read. She would happily watch those ALL day… she is riveted. If she’s sooky, teething, grumpy and I need to attend to something else, I pop these on and she’s mesmerized and happy. I sit her in her walker and she just bounces up and down for joy, squealing with delight. And when they finish, she claps, as if to say “Bravo! Encore!”
It’s a pity Brillkids wasnt happening earlier, as I’d prefer to have made my own flashcard/encyclopaedic knowlege DVDs. Which I will be doing, when I can figure out what to do.

HI Nikita,

I face the same problem like you. I live in Brasil and it is very expensive to buy things abroad and I have to wait an eternety to receive them due to customs burocracy. Also money is short and I spend too much time thinking and stuyding a product before buying it. I wish I lived in the United States to have the chance to go to a library, bookshop or even Target. Due to this I did my reading bits and now I am in the process of preparing the reading books and I just bought a BAMBOO pad so that I can paint the books from the site Reading A-Z. Thanks God we have the Internet or other wise I would not be able to do the Domman program with my baby Larissa.

Anyway, it was great to read about the DVD´s that you bought. Now that you did the evaluation of each product I will be able to spend in what really deserves the investment.

Adriane.

You said that shipping cost is very high. I just shipped a priority mail flat rate envelope to Germany for $12. It could probably hold a 2-5 DVDs in it. If you could ship to someone in the U.S. and then have them send it on to you, you might save a lot. It would have been $35 to send the CD other wise. If you don’t have anyone that could do this for you in the U.S. I probably could. The flat rate envelope price will vary by country, but should still be cheaper.
JJ

Tweedlewink have distributors in asia so shipping to Australia is a lot cheaper now. I had the first 4 plus languages, phonics and maths. I’ve just ordered 5 and 6. I havent done the overview to save money. I prefer the 1-6 lot as it has a lot more variety to capture bubs interest and attention better. But use phonics (it’s American phonics which is different to other english speaking countries in parts) and maths as the whole series is not yet out so it’s the only way to cover it all. Multiple languages is not on the other dvds at all.