Question about Doman's 'Teach Your Baby To Read' book

Dear all,

Please what is the difference between the 2002 edition (40th anniversary edition) and the 2006 edition of Doman’s ‘Teach Your Baby To Read’ book?

Is 2006 version merely a reprint of 2002 version or is it a complete rewrite? The 2002 version is cheaper, hence if both versions are the same, I’ll buy the cheaper one. If there are different, I’ll buy the 2006 one.

The link to the 2002 edition is :
http://www.amazon.com/Teach-Your-Baby-Read-Anniversary/dp/1591170079/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1321370493&sr=1-4

while that of the 2006 edition is:
http://www.amazon.com/How-Teach-Your-Baby-Read/dp/0757001858/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1321370493&sr=1-2.

Thank you so much.

I have no idea if there is any diference, but I would recomend you buy :How to Multiply Your Baby’s Intelligence, it teaches you how to teach not only reading , but math and general knoleg, I think it covers much more info, and it is a really good book.
hear you can get with free shiping:
http://www.bookdepository.com/How-Multiply-Your-Babys-Intelligence-Glenn-Doman/9780757001833

Thank you so much for your response. Two questions:

1. Are the 2002 and 2006 editions of Doman’s book the same or not?

2. Do you recommend ‘How to multiply your baby’s intelligence’ over ‘Teach your baby to read’?

I asked because I have limited funds to spend on Doman’s books, and if I buying any, it must be the best in the series. Thank you for a response

1. I do not know. I have 2005 edition of “how to multiply…” and “how to teach math” so probably my “teach to read” is of the same age (currently not with me, purchased in 2008). In this book, there is much about hand-made flashcards and use of stencils but almost nothing about use of computers. What else can be changed? It seems that the edition is not changed since sixties.

2. “How to multiply” is the sum of three other books. There is only one thing that is missing in “how to multiply” - the differences between the various ages. Few pages. I recommend “how to multiply”, and ask about these ages in this forum.

I would agree with that, I got both books as second hand, but I found how to teach you baby to read on internet in spanish to free donload, I haven´t looked for it in english, but it might be out there. I haven´t read it, because I got a really good idea of what to do just with reading how to multiply…

I know what you meen with the cost,it can get really expensive to home teach…I would recomend power points, to reduce cost. I speent a lot in paper and all kind of matirials and a month later harly used them… :confused: :confused:

I would get How Smart Is Your Baby, which I think is the same as How to Multiply your baby’s intelligence but one of them was retitled. As another poster mentioned, it’s basically a summarized version of all 3 books. Unless you plan to teach the Doman reading method exactly how he directs, I don’t really recommend buying them both. I would just supplement with the internet but get the multi-topic book, which is what I did. I flipped through the reading one from the library and it didn’t tell me much that the other book hadn’t already covered.

For introducing and retiring cards, check out the schedule /info here: http://www.childandme.com/teach-your-baby-read-glenn-doman-s-method/ My favorite method is still Little Reader because it’s the absolute easiest. They do offer a monthly payment plan if funds are tight, I think it’s definitely worth the investment. Second choice would be homemade or downloaded powerpoints, there are many available in the free download area of BrillKids.

Best of luck & let us know how it goes!

TeachingMyToddlers
tanks for the web, it is great!!!

Dear msocorro, Frukc, and TeachingMyToddlers,

Thank you so much for your responses. I’ve found your advice very useful.

As you’ve all suggested, I’ll get the multi-part book i.e., ‘How To Multiply Your Baby’s Intelligence’ or ‘How Smart Is Your Baby’. If necessary, I may then get ‘Teach Your Baby To Read’.

Thank you once again. I am extremely grateful.

Best regards,
nee1

One suggestion: Try your local library & see if they got the book. You might not even need to buy it. You might borrow it from the library. It’s the same as the other two books. See what you can get from the library & the chance is you can browse through them and decide on which one to buy if you really want to own the book.

My library only has the 1964 version of ‘Teach Your Baby to Read’ and has no copies of the others. Too bad.

My library only has the 1964 version of 'Teach Your Baby to Read' and has no copies of the others. Too bad.

That’s what I am talking about. The method is not changed since the beginning. It still is based on the flash cards. Flash cards on such a strange size of paper what nobody is using now. Times of pre-printer and pre-computer. I would suggest you to read that old book - and that will be enough to learn the method. Other details you can get online. The method is retold in many websites. Even in my language (appr 1 million speakers), it is retold online. I can show where this book is translated and published online in Russian. There are so many online resources in English; I am sure that you can get all the method online for free in English.

Hi Frukc,

You mean Doman has not made mention of multisensory techniques, use of powerpoint and use of technology in the latest versions of his ‘Teach Your Baby to Read’ published in 2002 and 2006? That would be a bit strange.

(I did think that YBCR and Brillkids were based solely on the latest versions of his reading book. Am I wrong?).

You mean Doman has not made mention of multisensory techniques, use of powerpoint and use of technology

Of course. In my year 2008 book there is nothing about the modern technologies. Doman’s method is Doman’s method. Doman and his coauthors elaborated their method 40 years ago and it is still very significant. Doman is not the author of YBCR. If you want to read about the technologies and YBCR you should look for another sources.

How smart is your baby and How to multiply your baby’s intelligence are very different books. Intelligence is just one aspect of the total program touched upon in How Smart is your baby. If your child is still immobile you could use both if you want to begin a physical program and an intelligence program. But either way How to multiply your baby’s intelligence is useful and very great.

@Frukc,
Thanks for the insight on Doman and technology.

@stargirl396,
Thanks for your explanation of the differences between the two books.

There are differences between the books. I purchased the 40th Anniversary Edition (2006) because it is the most recent:

http://www.gentlerevolution.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=G&Product_Code=0201-40

You can also call IAHP and ask what the differences are:

Contact Us

Use the contact information below to reach us with any questions you have about our website.

Address:
8801 Stenton Avenue
Wyndmoor, PA

Phone:
215-233-2050 (ext. 2525)
Toll-free: 1-866-895-KIDS (5437)

Email:
order@gentlerevolution.com

http://www.gentlerevolution.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CONTACT&Store_Code=G