Question about babies reading

I was talking to one of my sister-in-laws a couple of days ago and she was telling me that she saw a program on tv regarding YBCR, which I had already heard of, but she said she thought of me when she saw it because of all the things I am teaching my son. She continued on saying that she believes that babies can read, but that they can only read words that they are taught and not beyond that…is that true? She also said something to the extent that the ability to read more difficult/unfamiliar words would not come until the age of 5. Let me know what you think and thanks in advance!!

that how we adults think. but you know babes are able to learn and they can learn any thing and everything. they can learn many languages if you could teach babies. flash cards is very good when you r starting to teach as it is very effective. baby of age 6 month can learn more easily than a baby of age 7 month. so y do we waste our these critical time to listen others debating on this topic. my daughter is now ( 16 months) and can count and read

I think she’s probably referring to the “whole words vs phonics” debate.

See this thread for more:
http://forum.brillkids.com/teaching-your-child-to-read/the-phonics-debate/

Our view is that phonics is harder to teach early on, and using the whole word approach is great in the very early years, and in fact, helps them not only get interested in reading, but also they tend to intuit the phonics rules themselves without being formally taught phonics. I’ve witnessed that with Felicity personally, where I had some letter blocks which I randomly arranged, and she would pronounce it out (at least give a pretty good shot at it) even though she had never seen the word before and at that time had never been taught phonics.

Initially when you are teaching your baby it will be that he/she can only read the words you teach. It is only after they have learnt phonics by whatever method (intuition or actual teaching) that they’ll be able to figure out words for themselves. Elizabeth Barrett (sorry to her Mom) is a child of 17 months who could clearly read words she had never seen and she had figured it out for herself, so it can be done and I believe Robert Titzer’s daughter already knew a lot of phonics by age 18 months without being taught it. My mother taught my sister phonics (after sight reading) at age 2 so it can also be taught much earlier than 5.

My question is

Can you intergrate YBCR, Doman, Native reading and Starfall into one approach to use around the home?

I have been watching the Early Learning workshop by Dr Titzer, He says that when the baby starts to make clear sounds such as ba, that you encourage the sound, like saying wow you said ba, and so on and so on. Which is supposed to be the start of phonics. I’m only on the first dvd with Sophia and I start on the next one and the end of this month.

I would like to hear from others if they have used more than one method and what success you have had with it?

hi,i want to know, whether can i use little reader for baby after 2 years old or not?

Some of the moms here have used little reader for older children. I think it would still be appropriate. I can get my cousins 5 year old to watch LR, and she has learned from it. I think the addition of the phonics and sight words sections has made it even more appropriate for teaching older children as well as younger.

Babies/toddlers CAN learn to read using YBCR. But… The words that they are taught is a limited amount. It is certainly a great starting point. But you will need to expand on these. And you need to do more than just show the videos. You need to continue to read and show new words.
My son’s reading really took off when we used the preschool prep sight word dvd and apps. He learnt all the 45 sight words within a 2 months before he was 2 years old. He did also knew all his phonics, blends and digraphs.
At around 2.5 he was reading with fluency and comprehension. He really took off when we started reading the preschool prep readers.
Now he is a month shy of 3 years old and reading at a K-1st grade level.
The whole word approach gave James a solid foundation and confidence to read. And he has certainly been able to figure out words by chunking. For example I never taught him the word into but he had no issues reading it. There are many larger words that he does this to. He can also read any word with the suffixes -s, -ed, -ing, -tion without hesitation. He figured these suffixes out on his own out after i helped him read a few words like jumping, jumps, jumped.

Now… we don’t completely use whole language when we read. If James comes to an unfamiliar word that is decodeable I would always sound it out for him. Now he readily sounds out any word he doesn’t know. Well… He uses context and illustration clues to help him first. As his reading progresses I know there will be a focus on reading phonetically when he comes across unfamiliar words.

I highly recommend using a whole word program if your child is under 3, with a light introduction to phonics. Certainly have them learn all the phonics sounds, and then sound out words as you read. Older than 3 I would certainly focus more on phonics, but they still need to learn sight words that are not phonetically decodeable,

Check out the amazing free program www.readingbear.org. It is a great compliment to any whole word reading program.

readingbearorg. is a fantastic programme, could I use it with my eight months daughter, or is she very little… I am working with LR, especially , also with ybcr. shwe loves both programmes. and a week i will work with wtl… and I wanted to avoid tv…

Kimba I think combining methods is the best way to teach reading - the more things your child can draw on to figure out what they are reading the more success they are likely to have. I started my 1st daughter on sight words and then introduced phonics at 2.5 years of age teaching blending by modelling it for her (www.readingbear.org can be used for this now) - it took about two months of constant blending for her to get her to be able to give me the word I was modelling before I said it - as in I said c-a-t and she said cat or I said r-ai-n and she said rain. Make sure you know your own phonics to be able to do this correctly for your child.

Shortly after 3 I started my DD on a phonics programme that taught all the phonograms and we spent about a year working through it however still working on sight word reading and starting to read longer and longer stories. I did teach chunking words and continued to show her how to sound out words by doing it for her - she also uses contextual clues a lot however, but does try to sound things out when she is not sure. Now at 5 she reads at about a 4th or 5th grade level though her stamina is still being worked on and I still read many books with her as shared reading where she reads a page and then I read a page. We used Little Reader, flashcards, a sight word programme using readers, multiple reading series, www.starfall.com, some of progressive phonics, a little of reading eggs and just pointing out letters, phonograms and words all around us. I am now teaching my second child to read and will use whatever is available and I feel will work best for her at each stage of development.

Hello! I just want to ask if I can use the reading bear program with my 12 month old son? I did actually visited the www.readingbear.org and it is really a wonderful programme! I started using YBCR with my son and he learn a lot from it. I recently got the Little Reader Deluxe for him and he like it along with the books that comes with it.

Tanikit,

Please what was the name of the phonics programme you used? Was it ‘The Ordinary Parent’s Guide to Teaching Reading’ by Jessie Wise? I read a previous post of yours where you mentioned you were using that book. Did you find the book very effective?

Hi, yes I did use The Ordinary Parents Guide to teaching reading, however that book is NOT written for very young children and I basically used it as a word list copying out the word lists into much bigger font and not using the sentences at all as my child was already reading a fair amount by herself and had a large number of sight words. I felt the sentences did not aid comprehension as they were purely putting in words that fitted the phonics rule - all I did was point out the rule we had been working on in the books we were reading together and also in books I read her when appropriate. It was however very helpful to use this book as it addresses all the phonics rules you need so as far as that was concerned I knew I was not missing anything - I did skim over rules she seemed to know or ones where there were very few English words that actually used that sound combination.

For now my only phonics teaching (DD is now 5) is revision with her much younger sister (20 months) and spelling rules when she needs them and we still read together and I will help her sound out unfamiliar words - mostly these are not a phonics problem but a vocabulary issue now.