Problems going from letter sounds to words

Okay, I have a question for all of you who have successfully transitioned a child to reading using the phonics method. I myself learned to read spntaneously just after I turned 3 and never had that awkward sounding out phase. My son is currently able to sound out words with no difficulty whatsoever. However…once he sounds out all the letters he claims they go together to form some completely random word that in no way corresponds to the sounds he just sounded out. Here is an example:

Card: sam
Blaise: ssss aaaa mmmm…mat the card says mat
Me: Huh?

I just don’t get it. Is this something that improves with practice or are there some sort of excercises or games we should be playing to help make the connection? Ideas???

have you tried teaching it as s am, sam.
Colour s one colour and am another colour

No I haven’t I use little reader so the letters are all the same color. But if you have found that to be helpful I certainly might be willing to try it. Sometimes he will say “ssssss aaaaa mmmmm…am”, and if I sound it out making the letter sounds shorter i.e. “ss aa mm” he will get it 25-50% of the time.

Just keep plugging away. The letter-sound connection doesn’t come all of a sudden in a flash, I think. It takes some time to figure out. It’s a big concept. It’s old hat to you and me, but to a kid, the whole thing is a big leap.

More than anything, I recommend you try modelling how the word is pronounced, then sounded out very slowly, then a little faster. In other words, whatever you’re asking him to do, spend a good while doing it yourself and not expecting him to do anything. I did that a lot for around a month (or more?), I remember, before he sounded out anything himself.

Alphabet books help a lot. If you want him to sound out the language he’s got to be very familiar with the letters and the sounds they make. I’m sure http://www.starfall.com/ (the alphabet pages) would help a lot, too, because they focus on the sounds the letters make. The first page of Starfall really reminds me of Doman presentations–check it out, it’s free. You can use refrigerator magnets, too. Doing the same things in different places, using different sense modalities, will help make it all gel. Leapfrog has some handy products. They have several ones that do the same thing (you press a button that is in the shape of a letter, and the toy says the name of the letter and/or pronounces the sound(s) the letter makes). We have the Alphabet Bus, that worked pretty well. We also have the LeapFrog alphabet three-letter refrigerator magnet system, I forget what it’s called. It helped a little, I think, but for whatever reason he couldn’t make out how to use the toy (that was at about 26 months or so, I guess). He has since (at 33 months) figured it out, though. But earlier on, I am sure it could be handy for you to demonstrate to him what’s going on. But frankly, I think that’s a bit of a splurge, it’s not cheap, and if price is a consideration, other things are more helpful. Plain old wooden blocks can’t hurt, either.

Frankly, though it is not explicitly phonetic, I believe Dr. Titzer when he says “Your Baby Can Read” can help kids to learn the phonetic code. I just think it helps to go farther and clarify it more. But the point is that YBCR would probably help your boy pick up the letter-sound code. I say this because it features an arrow that moves below the word as it is pronounced. This is a really handy feature. This doesn’t necessarily teach the full range of the phonetic rules, but I think what it does do successfully is give a child the general notion of the letter-sound connection. By the way, Starfall.com and Literactive.com (free sign-up, well worth it) both have a similar feature as well, but YBCR is automatic and easier to use. The Starfall and Literactive “sound out the word” feature are better to use after your kid has started to read, I imagine. Literactive in particular is really cool, you gotta check it out. But again, I don’t think either of these is an adequate replacement for YBCR.

Then of course there’s http://www.mediafire.com/Fleschcards … don’t expect him to sound out the cards himself right away. As long as he’s making progress, it’s OK if you are doing the sounding-out. I don’t think my boy successfully sounded out any word until we were well into the sets. He did manage to figure out what a word was when I said something like “kkk–aaaah–ttt”, and that’s an important milestone. If he can do that, he’s definitely making progress.

Thanks DadDude, was hoping you’d respond. My son has a great grasp of letter sounds, we are major starfall junkies though he calls the whole site “Zac the Rat”. We also have used YBCR (which he finds pretty darn boring) and the leap frog single letter fridge set and letter/word factory DVDs (which are great). I will definitely check out the Literactive web site. It sounds like from what you are saying that the main difference in what you have done and what I am doing is that I am making Blaise sound out the words himself and then make the connection, but that you provided a little more scaffolding by sounding out the words in a way similar to that in which they were pronounced yourself until he was easily saying moving from that to the word. Am I right there? I appreciate the feedback these are just the kind of practical advice I was hoping to find.

Also thanks for the Fleshcards. It gives me some ideas for word lists without having to rack my brain, in fact I have hijacked several of your lists with pictures to use as a framework for my sons personal little reader files, with the addition of some personal pictures and favorite words of course!

Yes, didn’t you know, it’s really “Zac the Rat”? That’s why my boy calls it, too. lol

I’m sure the “scaffolding” as you put it makes a big difference. My kid isn’t naturally confident when it comes to complex new tasks, and I’m sure many other kids are the same way. Lots of hand-holding and demonstrating, and generally not expecting instant results…I think that’s the way.

starfall.com is a great web site and the Leap frog DVD’s are great too. Check your local library, they might have the leap frog DVD’s.

Thanks again. It’s great to hear some practical advise from someone who so recently was right where I am and has had such great results.

my kids tutor makes lists of same sound words with colour for first letter and another colour for the other syllable. Eg s am, h am, cl am, j am, m am.

there is a method called WORD ATTACK I have a reader from them, that goes like that
a cat on a mat
a rat in a hat
scat the rat …
the whole book concentrating on -at words
and so on
I found the idea helpful myself :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
seems rainmatrix is mentioning the same :wink:

I think you should get him to cover up the word and read it by uncovering one letter at a time without sounding it out at all.

eg He would read c then ca then cat (rather than c…a…t… cat)
It works better for longer words too and when there are phonemes you just get him to uncover the whole sound at once

eg t…tr…trAI… train (NOT t-r-ai-n = train)
This works with very young children and teenagers who are struggling to read.

“elimination” then becomes a lot easier too - who on earth would be able top remember all they have said if they have to say e-l-i-m-i-n-a-tion… it should be read by covering it up and reading e-el-eli-elim-elimi-elimina-elimination
Children also like being able to cover up the word and gradually uncover each letter.

Thanks Tanikit, I think that may help too. Especially for the times when he is sounding it out and then only saying the end of the word i.e. ccc aaa tttt…at.

So tried some of the ideas above and he went up to being able to read 80-90% of the words, with me helping to sound out. Thanks all for the advice. I knew there had to be some easy way to bridge him over.

undelining helps too for the broken up word. Eg e li mi nate.
Especially useful for spelling for my kids.
Eg e le phant