Probiotic for our kids? - Lacto GG

Hi everyone,

My son had slight fever for a couple of days and soft stools in between. I wanted to observe him a little bit more before running to the doctor as the fever come and go and we have some paracetamol left from his last visit to the doctor.

Last night my son refused his last feed and this morning he did the same. his fever returned. So I gave him his paracetamol and tried giving him his milk again. This time he finished his milk but it didnt end there. He threw up just as soon as he put his bottle down, milk coming out from his mouth and nose at the same time.

So we went to see our Ped. Doc said it’s a virus which infected his gut and apparently it’s seasonal. He prescribed same old Paracetamol, something to stop the vomitting and Lacto GG.

Lacto GG is a probiotic, a good bacterium that promotes natural immune system.It costs RM4 per capsule and RM 120 per pack of 30. The nurse told me that some parents give their children Lacto GG as supplement and I should consider it too as there have been several H1N1 related death in the area where I stay. Mr sister’s children take it and she highly recommends it. Some parents reported that it helps control eczema too. So I thought I’d give it a try and bought a pack.

Here’s the link to the company’s website if anyone is interested to find out more.

http://www.lactogg.com/English/LactoGG/index.htm

Does anyone have any opinion, knowledge or experience using this product or other related probiotic products?

I know of a drink, sort of like pediasure, that contains probiotics (their in the straw). Here’s the site http://www.kidessentials.com/Pages/homepage.aspx#

Probiotics is a good direction to take, they do strengthen immune system and establish healthy bacteria. I will definetly go with it. We use Probiotic supplement on a regular basis since my daughter was 2 months old. Just make sure you get it from reputable company. One of the best out there is NATREN LifeStart with Bifidobacterium Infantis, it is specially formulated for Infants, however if your baby is drinking regular milk already any “grown up” probiotic would work as well. Just make sure it is refrigerated and kept properly…

Thanks for your advice Skylark and Nhockaday.

My younger son has been on probiotics since infancy. When he was 20 months, he developed lactose intolerance after prolonged diarrhoea. It was then that I first encountered Lacto GG. We managed to control his bowel movements with Lacto GG, and continued it alongside lactose free formula for approx 3 months. He fully recovered and was able to resume a regular diet after that.

I’m new to this issue and you helped me.