Preschool kids

I noticed that little reader is geared towards kids under five. I have not found as much info. on teaching kids who are on the older end of the age group. I thought we could share ideas & experiences on our 4 & 5 year olds.

We only found out about little reader a few weeks ago, so am just learning , however my older dd loves it as much as the younger one. The biggest difference I have found is that the older dd can help me decide which types of words she would like to see.

I wonder if the cards should be repeated more for the older dd because I’ve read that babies soak up new info. more quickly & get bored more quickly too.

I’d love to hear your thought, ideas & experiences!

I think it’s the opposite–younger children need words to be repeated a lot to learn about language and how to read. They do get bored, but that’s why you add a lot of variety. But you should still show things over and over before they will grasp it. Older kids pick up on the words much faster because they have already been exposed to language and reading. I would show it to them less, or show something different when they start recognizing the words you are showing them. They, unlike babies, will let you know that they can read and understand what they see.

Actually, there’s no “age limit” for Little Reader! So long as a child is interested, it doesn’t matter how old they are!

How old is your older dd?

Older dd is 5. Wish I had known about this 5 years ago!

I read up to about age five here yesterday, but I can’t remember where.
Maybe it meant that was the most commonly used ages?

I understand about the no “age limit”. The other day a had a few kids at my house who were ages 9 - 12. They really enjoyed little reader, especially the foreign language words. Having word pronounciations made it so much more enjoyable than looking in a book & not knowing how to say the word!

I know that little reader can also help older children and even adults who want to learn a new language!