predictable equations in GD MathDots program

I’ve been following the additions as presented in LM but just yesterday found this (I posted it on another thread but would like to get more input)

Describing the steps in Math Dot program, the site Child and Me has the following on step 2

Second Step - Equations

Start after you’ve showed first 20 cards for First Step.
Don’t test, continue introducing new quantities, i.e. dot cards, (until you reach 100), and add sessions with simple equations: 2+2=4, 5+11=16. Avoid predictable equations: 1+2=3; 1+3=4; 1+4=5. After two weeks of different addition equations, do subtractions, followed by multiplication and division (at two week intervals of 3 sessions of equations per day). (Bold by me)
http://www.childandme.com/how-teach-your-child-math-glenn-domans-dot-method/#steps
Any comments?

I’m sorry, I’m not following you question… :wub:

I’ve been doing
1+1
1+2
1+3

My kids just say the next number as obviously it’s gonna be the answer… I don’t know if they learned much from it :blush:
So, which way to go, in order or totally random?

I think that totally random otherwise it becomes predictable and then may become boring for them. We have just been using the files that were uploaded by anjie for LM. I may have to break down the equation though because my baby loses interest in the process.

Hope this was the opinion you were looking for :wink:

Definitely go random … predictability means expected means borrrriiiiing …
Because when you introduce them to dots … your already introducing predictability by adding one more dot you got 13 and + 1 more dot its 14 and so on … they got the idea …

Here’s my take on it.

I believe it is good in the beginning to show a set of +1, +2 etc. equations in order so show that that’s exactly the effect of “+1” etc… You are starting to teach the concept of addition in the easiest way possible, by adding 1.

Yes, after a while, if you keep doing it in sequence, then you may not be sure that your child has not just started to count up the answers (this answer is 3, next one must be 4, etc).

The best thing to do would actually to start with +1’s etc. IN ORDER, then quickly RANDOMIZE the ORDER of the +1 equations, so that if the current answer is 5, the next one may not be 6. Yet, you are able to get the benefit of focusing on the concept of +1, etc.

AFTER THAT, at a more advanced level, yes, mix it up so it’s not just +1, but could be +2, etc. etc.

If you don’t know already, randomizing the order can be done simply in the Preset settings.

Interesting point of view KL. It definetly makes sense to me. Thanks! :slight_smile:

Yes, tx everyone!