pps versus flash cards

I don’t know if the subject’s been brushed here, cause I’m new here and not well versed in the forum rooms and such. :slight_smile:
Can anybody tell me what do Doman experts say on PPS? Are they ok? Or do the advise traditional flash cards?

38 people read it and no answer? :frowning: I’m disappointed…

http://forum.brillkids.com/teaching-your-child-to-read/flash-cards-x-powerpoint/
http://forum.brillkids.com/teaching-your-child-to-read/powerpoint-instead-of-flashcards/
http://forum.brillkids.com/general-discussion-b5/anyone-do-the-doman-method-hardcore-daily/
http://forum.brillkids.com/general-discussion-b5/so-overwhelmed-looking-for-planning-guidance/

I think, almost everyone here is using computers for teaching. powerpoint files or special programs :slight_smile:

Thanks, I’ll look this up.

I prefer power point presentations to flashcards because it holds my kids interests better. I see you are new here. It is very normal to have 38 views and no answer in a forum. More people read then respond in forums. This isn’t a very busy one so it takes a while before you get an answer but there is a lot of good insight to be found if you search around.

I read all the threads linked above. But though I found them useful they did not answer my one question - what does Doman say about power points way?
Well, if he doesn’t approve, I’ll still stick to pps because I can’t afford neither money nor time to sooooo much material! I intend to teach both Polish reading, as well as English, Italian, MAYBE German and French. Apart from that EK, I love the very idea, and kids love the pictures.:slight_smile:
I know that people often view posts without responding :wink: I just hoped this question of mine was new enough to get an answer.
I am a little suprised but happy that I’m not alone with Power Point attraction. I’m also curious about that Little Reader - what is it and so on. I’ll check this out.

Verita definitely check out LIttle reader! I am sure you will love it!
Doman made a comment somewhere once ( I cannot find the link sorry) that doing words on a computer is bound to be better than not doing them at all. His concern was on the overall environment. He wanted the same eye contact hugs and love to permeate into the sessions. He also wanted large enough print. He sells encyclopaedic type CD roms…guess he wouldn’t sell them if he didn’t want people to use them.

what does Doman say about power points way.

Glenn Doman passed away few years ago. His books were written rather long time ago, before the computer-era. In his books you can read a lot about paper sizes etc, and even on the use of stencils. He always said that teacher should do what is easier, and avoid too much work on insignificant issues. It is easier to work with ppt, it is possible to show more information so I think it harmonizes with the approach of G.Doman.

But I did not use computer with very little kids.

You know, 30 years ago there were no digital photos. Photographers developed films and pictures by themselves. Photo books of these times do not say anything about the digital photography. And Doman books are of the same time :slight_smile:

New re-prints are slightly edited, computers are mentioned but without comments. I think, authors knowingly avoid to analyze this subject because this is not their main topic.

Thank you all.
I’ll do PPT mostly. But intend to have some flashcards for making fun sentences on the floor.

I just wish I had a loger day than 24 hours. That’s just seems to short for teaching all that and preparations and all the householding when I have 3 kids… :slight_smile:

I’ve also wondered about this. My first child did not do well with ppt. She learned better with paper flashcards. I used eraseable poster board and wrote new words out every week. I don’t really want to take the time this baby, but it nags at me-Are paper flashcards really better?
Do any of you teach only on the computer?
I have watched some of the videos, but it looks like many people are printing out the LR lessons.

I still wonder. Right now it’s pps mostly. But my 2year old would like paper flashcards I think. She loves to touch everything. 4yr old and 0,5 year old don’t mind. But I think that 2year old simply likes to move around all the time when she wants and sit on my knees only when she is sleepy :wink:

I think that each kind of lesson media has it’s benefits. :slight_smile: PowerPoint Slides, DVD videos, and multisensory ways of teaching (like BrillKids programs) are great to use when your child is in the mood to watch, listen and learn. And for some formats, it’s more cost-effective, because digital media can easily be transmitted, shared, and made on a computer.

But as some parents may find, flash cards are still GREAT to use. I don’t think they’re outdated in any way, it’s just a different way of teaching, and it doesn’t make it any less effective. Yes, you may end up needing to spend a lot of time either printing or writing on card stock, but in a way, kids find it an amazing way to learn when they can see, hold (and sometimes even taste hahaha) the cards during the lessons!

If you can spare the time and a bit of cost to print cards, I would encourage to do so, just so that there’s a variety in the lessons and the way your child experiences the learning process. :slight_smile: Switching up teaching materials and styles can go a long way in making old subjects fresh and interesting!

And yes, Doman also does offer CDroms for their materials, so perhaps he wouldn’t be adverse to teaching using a digital screen. Remember that technology has evolved and changed so much over the past couple of decades that it may pay to keep an open mind with regards to new ways of teaching and new methods of learning.

:happy:

Thank you Lappy :slight_smile:
I have about 50-60 flashcards. I’ll do some more to shuffle them around with the older ones. :slight_smile:

I have just used a number o flashcards to make simple sentences. With a 4yr old (he reads already though). That was a hit! But my 2yr old daughter prefered to dance over the words, so…
I think she’ll learn by accident or something. She doesn’t seem interested in learning words. :frowning: Or I’m doing sth wrong, according to Doman. Sad…