Potty training

Our 22 month old son told me 3 days ago “potty”, I got the little potty out of the closet and sat him down. Ever since he has went on the potty except at night/naptime, one accident, and bowel movements (2 in the nap diaper and 1 on the floor).He fusses now if I try to put a diaper on him. I used cloth mostly and disposable diapers when needed. Has anyone else had this happen? Is this a fluke and he will end up back in diapers? He starts summer came on the 19th of June I am worried that might be a problem. I was really thinking that he would be trained before 3 years but not before 2 years. Thoughts anyone.

Cautiously optomistic,
:smiley: Tracy

I would follow his lead. My son was completely potty at 24 months. So it IS possibly. :slight_smile:

15-18 months was when he first started to request going potty himself. The library was the place. He loved going potty in public restrooms. It was his little adventure.
22 months was when he was day trained and able to go on command. Took me a few more months (and a waterproof sheet protector) to bite the bullet and let him go without diapers at night.

We cloth diapered also.

My mum completely potty trained 3 kids between 11-14 months. So it CAN be done.

My daughter was potty trained by day and night at 23 months. We still have to watch her as she can become so engrossed in what she is doing that she may have an accident but I’d say go for it as he seems to want it. Good luck!

My daughter – never used diapers since 2 weeks. She used potty both day and night, at home and when out, on our cross-Atlantic trips – airplanes, trains. She would ask to stop the car when she needed to go and even as a few weeks baby baby she would wait till we get off the free way. On our last trip, we had to have help with the kids on a few occasions and their caregivers put a diaper on her a few times. She was totally disgusted, and it confused her ( she is 3 yo), and since then she had a few separate ( infrequent) incidents for the first time in 3 years.

My son, – I had a muscle separation from pregnancy and my husband had to be the main person who lifts and carries the baby for a while – we used cloth with him, and while he clearly indicated when he wanted to use potty, my husband just could not manage at times to get him on the potty in time. He is asking for potty and using potty since about 13 months, – but differently from his sister, he has accidents, and at times he does not ask ( he is 1.5 now), simply because it is much much more difficult to “un-train” baby to use diapers, then to simply follow his/hers clues from the beginning. He still wants to do it, but because in a way he was diaper trained, it is a slower process, and at times when he is getting involved in something, he does not ask. Whereas, for my daughter it was never an issue. For her it was not confusing, she was very happy that she was able to communicate and we were able to understand, and it really did boost her self-esteem and confidence.

In fact i have introduced her to potty when shes 8 months old (now 2.5yo) … but she just refused to sit on potty after she starts walking at 1yo… :frowning: Just started last week, i did not let her wear diaper during morning … and for 3 hours , she did not pee at all… i tried bring her to toilet in between but she will just cry and refused to go in … only when i noticed she can’t hold any longer , i bring her to the toilet and she “i think without choice” pee out on the toilet floor… and after pee, i hug her and cheer with her she successfully pee in toilet. And i can see she is happy too… i also reward her with stickers and she likes it. But i am not sure why she wants to hold her urine for so long and only pee when she can’t hold it.

I am not sure if i should continue this way or is she not ready? I am afraid it will cause problem to her body if she were to hold the urine for too long…