potty recommendations

All this talk about potty training has made me wonder what kind of potty to buy? I have a potty seat that fits over the toilet seat, but Gabriel absolutely hates it! What brand of potty did you buy fro your kid, and does he/she like it?

I am a big fan of the Baby Bjorn Little Potty for a young baby (my 8 mo old had a tiny tush) because it is smoothly contoured and didn’t leave an angry red rim around his hiney.

When he was a little older, we switched to the Baby Bjorn Toilet Trainer, which I highly recommend. http://www.amazon.com/BabyBjörn-Toilet-Trainer-White-Blue/dp/B000CSBOBO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1241048367&sr=8-1

I bought it at Babies R Us with the $5 off $25 coupon they have out periodically. It’s about three times as expensive as the other potty seats, but I think it’s worth it (and I’m a notorious cheapskate). Reasons are the smooth contour again (the little male unit won’t get caught or scratched on the guard if he’s inattentive) the fact that it cleans very easily with a Lysol wipe because it’s one molded piece (others you have to take apart the vinyl cushion from the plastic base), and it also has adjustible wings that fit into the seat opening and lock the seat so that it doesn’t shift at all. The child feels very secure that way. In fact, even though my 3 year old can probably sit on a regular seat now, he won’t, because he finds his trainer more comfortable and will sit for half an hour looking at books.

I have the type that sits on top of the toilet too. My daughter seems okay with it. Of course, she doesn’t know there is another option. I do wonder if it would go quicker if I had the freestanding type that sits on the floor. They do seem to want to squat when they are eliminating which isn’t possible on toilet topper type. I live in a small condo with only one bathroom so it is more space efficient.

We use one that goes on top of the toilet, too. Mostly because I don’t like having to clean the potty. We also own a Unce Upon a Potty Potty (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_ba?url=search-alias%3Dbaby-products&field-keywords=once+upon+a+potty+potty) and I like it because the guard in the front is high enough that even a boy doesn’t splash out when he pees. It was the wrong fit when he was tiny, though. (I wouldn’t recommend it for babies under a year.) We used to have one like the Baby Björn, and used it backwards, with the baby facing the back panel, so he wouldn’t splash out.

Now that my boy is walking and running, our favorite is to stand on a stool in front of the big toilet. His brothers showed him how to do that trick and he likes that a lot. Once I found him squatting in front of the toilet getting ready to grunt, so I had to quickly put him on the potty. lol He’s still learning. :wink:

Thanks every one.These answers are really going to help me.My son is 6+months now.I will be starting potty training with him in few months. :yes: :yes: :yes: