Potty Education - Mishaps

Hi all

My daughter has finally started showing signs that she’s ready for “Potty Education” :happy: a while ago.
I let her walk around naked in the house through the day - I’ve tried putting on panties and shorts, but she’ll wet herself wherever she stands when she has something on her bottom.
She loved going on the potty and even sitting “like mommy” on the “big toilet” without the potty seat. All has been going great until a few days ago. She started “going” in and on other stuff. For example: She made a poo in a plastic toy holder yesterday and this morning she urinated on a cloth nappy she took out of her closet. I’ve praised her for not just going on the carpet ( :blink: ), and asked her nicely to next time go on the potty but she just said “No!”
Has anyone had the same experience? Any ideas as how to get her not to do this, or is it just a phase she’s going through?

I was hoping she’ll be off nappies during the day seeing that our baby boy will be here on the 20th December.

Cheers,

Wow. A flat out “no”? Hmmmm. Does she enjoy doing something a lot? Josiah really enjoys reading. Throughout the day we try to go potty, and reading through the day is reserved for potty time only. This doesn’t interfere with bed time and nap time, of course! Just any other time. Maybe a special toy to be played with only when on the potty? I would also try to be on the potty as much as possible for as long as possible. We usually don’t get up right after he goes. We hang out a little while and finish our book. This helps catch those little sporadic “after-pees”. lol

Hello, I think that kids may be attracted to their new habbits with movies and songs like these, that I found on a web site, focused on kids. Check it if you are interested.

http://www.iotiub.com/content.php?nid=613

Well, I said I’d never use treats, but…well…you know what happens when you say “never” lol

The first incentive that I used was soap - I bought two Kandoo’s - purple and green - they’re foaming soaps for kids…I also had a white foam soap that he hadn’t been allowed to use up until that point. So, after a successful pee in the potty he’d get to use the special soap. If it was a pee on the floor or elsewhere, he was only allowed the bar soap. It worked very well for several months, then we had a relapse and I caved - now we give him little chewy fruit pieces (SunRype, maybe???) for a pee in the potty - I cut them into fourths - no larger than this little laughing head icon lol and a tiny little marshmallow for a poop. Oh, so exciting!

We did start the whole thing off though by not scheduling anything for 2 or 3 weeks. I kept him bare bummed at all times, then we graduated to pyjama bottoms (I suggest going to your local 2nd hand store and stocking up - there’ll be laundry - lots of it!). We only use diapers for naps and bedtime now - and trips outside (oh, we still have accidents, but we’re on our way :). As for underwear - everytime I try them, he pees in them - like your child - not sure how to get around that. Oh, and we’ve been doing this since the beginning of August - it’s now December…it’s been a process of experiments that have tried and worked and tried and failed…

My best advice: don’t put too much hope in the one day wonder stories you hear…not even the three day stories and find an incentive for her to work towards.

Thanks for your reply guys!!

It looks like she just might have been frustrated or something. :tongue: It only lasted a few days. She’s back to her good potty training :happy:

I’ll use your suggestions next time she does this. I really hope it won’t be necessary :wacko:

She does love reading, but she has access to all her books, all of the time, every day. The other things she loves will be too messy in the house and unfortunately, living here in HOT Australia, trying to potty train outside the house won’t do - it’s just too hot and the UV is too high :dry:

Cheers,