potential health risks in foods

Our family has changed to more vege and less meat.

I agree that most vege and fruits has pesticides and chemicals on them, but compared to what you get from meat (with all those grow-up-fast chemicals, grow-up-fat nutrients fed into the animals), I would choose the former diet.

We even decided to stop having beef and now our bodies are alot stronger. Our foul breaths are gone, our bowel movements are alot healthier too. The common misconception that beef makes you grow stronger and tougher (due to high iron) is all bulls***.

Our daily diet involves lots of vegetables, chinese herbs (wolfberry, dates are the most common ones) and steamed food. The only meat that we take in ample quanity is fish.

Some information when you shop for your fruits.
I know there is this number labeling in Singapore, but I don’t know if there is such a system in the Western Countries.

Read the Numbers on Your Fruit

I just found this out about a month ago and I’ve been an organic vegan for over four years, go figure. That just goes to say that we must all remain as students and continue to learn and learn — never stop studying and gaining new information.

Okay, so what did I learn?

I learned that sticker labels on the fruits actually tell you how the fruits have been grown - whether they were organically grown or conventionally grown with pesticides and herbicides; oh and let’s not forget about the genetically engineered fruits.

Conventional Fruit Labels
Four digits and does not start with 9
** mostly starting with the digit 4

Organic Fruit Labels
Five digits and starts with number 9

Genetically Modified Fruits
Start with the digit 8

** this is good to know because stores aren’t obligated to tell you if a fruit has been genetically modified

Okay, so if you come across an apple in the store and it’s labels 4922, it’s an conventional apple grown with herbicides and harmful fertilizers. If it has a sticker 99222, it’s organic and safe to eat. If it says 89222, then RUN!!! It has been genetically modified (GMO).
So next time you go shopping, remember these critical numbers and know how to avoid purchasing inorganic and GMO fruits.

Shop Safe :slight_smile:

I don’t eat any pork or beef. I eat chicken breast only that is all natural with no hormones. I use ground turkey breast in the place of ground beef. Like I said, I don’t drink milk either, and you know what? I am the epitome of health. I rarely ever get sick, and if I do, it’s normally mild. I don’t get headaches, and I’m regular.

I just hope the pesticides aren’t doing long term damage b/c I eat a lot of fruits and veggies.

That’s interesting, Winth. I will have to look at my fruits next time I shop. Do you know where you found this info?

It’s an email I have received.
Tried to dig up the relevant ones from this topic.

I tried to find the website I have received from my emails about those livestock that were ill-treated and driven crazy before they move into the slaughterhouse. But I guess I must have cleared that link away. It’s far too cruel for me.

I only managed to only see the life of the chickens, didn’t see the pigs nor the cows, as it was too much for me.

An idea of what goes on in the farmhouses: the chickens’ beaks were burnt out-of-shape (to prevent hurting each other) and they were living in caged conditions with some going crazy (you’ll be in tears if you see it), or couldn’t walk as the grow-fat nutrients made them top heavy, bottom light so much that their feet didn’t grow in time to support their weight, there are barely a month old but there are already fully-grown chicken. They were thrown into the cages (using government-approved procedures) before moving into the slaughterhouses. So the chickens that we eat are usually crippled before they are dead. The chickens are not dead when they de-feathered them, imagine the pain… well… errm… I couldn’t really continue

When the site further went on to the pigs, all I managed to catch a glimpse was a man was pulling (god knows what) something out from the pig’s private part. And the pig was growling in pain… The narrator even said that most animals were sexually abused too… And that’s about what I saw…

I have made this into its own thread b/c we got a little off the milk topic. :happy:

The problems with dairy can be found here http://forum.brillkids.com/coffee-corner/eliminating-dairy-products/

And while we’re talking about unhealthy foods, I just brushed my teeth and rinsed with tap water. I could smell and taste chlorine! Disgusting! I don’t think that would be very healthy to drink!

this is really helpful to know every one. im not aware of these things. but next time im going for shopping i too will look for this this. this

Ahh nikki I’ve experienced the same thing. When I’m in Hong Kong, if I fill a glass full of tap water, it’s typically yellowish in colour! :tongue:

For us, we do not even drink from the tap water when we are overseas. The water standards are atrocious.

Singapore is safe though. You can drink water straight from the tap. :yes:
They use clean water for everything, which sometimes I feel it’s a waste. I mean, you don’t really need top-grade clean water to flush your toilet system right?

In the UK (at least many years ago when I lived there), they used to advertise that the tap water is clean enough to drink.

I would never drink tap water. They put fluoride in it. Fluoride is not good for you, especially not to ingest. Besides that, like I said, there is chlorine in it, and if you hold it up to the light, you can see stuff floating in it. But it passes all the tests, meaning that it is perfectly safe to drink.

Fluoride is not good for you, especially not to ingest.

Really? I’ve been taught that Fluorine is good, prevents tooth decay…
Anyway, I failed most of my science subjects…

in Maldives especially in male’ the capital water is not good. most of the people do not use the tap water as it has the chlorine. some days it is giving the smell of chlorine too. we buy the mineralized water for drinking.