Possibly bright 14 month old - I have no idea what I'm doing

Hello, everyone! I hope I can get some honest feedback and advice here. I’m hesitant to approach friends IRL because I don’t want them to think I am being boastful or something equally icky. :wink:

I have a 14 month old boy. I don’t have a lot of experience with young children, so I honestly don’t know what is “normal” and what is atypical. I’ve looked up developmental guides, but they don’t ever say much about learning. Maybe someone here can point me to a better developmental milestone chart than what I’ve been able to find.

Anyway, a couple of weeks ago I discovered much to my suprise that my 14 month old knows all the letters. I’m not entirely sure how he learned them - but I think he must have learned them by playing with this leapfrog phonic refrigerator magnet set that we have. (You put in a letter and it says the letter and sings a little song about it’s phonetic sound). I found out because one day I just asked “where’s the A” - and he pointed to it on the fridge! Over the course of the day (his attention span is rather short) he identified every letter correctly. I was very suprised. I asked what does “letter” say? And he knew the phonetic sound for maybe about 12 letters (but he’s learning more all the time). He really only spent time with those magnets once a day (or every other day) for about 10 minutes at a stretch while I was preparing lunch. I never thought he’d learn anything from it - I just thought he liked the music.

Is this typical? I’ve sense discovered he recognizes the numbers from 1-8 as well (this I think is from a book he likes to read - Eight Silly Monkeys) He’s not super verbal. He knows: hi, up, cat, ball. He certainly understands a lot more than he can say as he is very good at following simple instructions (like “pick up your sock and give it to mommy”)

My husband and I were both in gifted programs when we were kids - so I suppose he has the genes for it. I’d hesitate to call a 14 month old gifted, though, as it seems waaay to early to tell.

So, honestly, do you think my baby sounds like he is atypical/bright/gifted? Or is this all pretty normal stuff for a 14 month old (don’t worry! You won’t offend me if you think he’s just a normal baby! LOL!) If he does sound a bit brighter than average, do I need to do anything different or special? Should I be “working with him”? If so - what does that mean? I’m a SAHM… should I consider getting him into a preschool early or something? I feel sort of unsure of what this all means… and I also realize it could all mean absolutely nothing.

He’s a very happy kid - very energetic too (he gave up naps at 11 months -ug!)

Thanks for any insights.
–lily

He sounds highly gifted to me. You could help him reach his highest potential by teaching him to read and do math. He will enjoy it. All babies and toddlers love to learn especially gifted ones. In the menu bar, there is a drop down menu for reading and math under the Early Education tab.

Here are the links in case you have trouble finding them:

http://www.brillbaby.com/teach-baby/math.php
http://www.brillbaby.com/teach-baby/reading.php

If you can afford it then you might want to buy the Little Reader software and use their curriculum. I don’t think preschool will be helpful. He will learn more if you teach him yourself. Preschools generally don’t teach reading or math. They only teach shape, color, number, and letter recognition. He is beyond those concepts already. He is ready to learn to read which usually isn’t taught until kindergarten in school.

Browse this forum. There is so much info here. I started teaching my daughter just 7 months ago. She is now 30 months old and can read simple sentences. Get ready to be amazed because your son is going to exceed any of your expectations.

You might also want to pick up some books by Glenn Doman, especially “How to teach your baby to read.”

Good Luck, Lori

To be honest my first child was speaking in a complete sentence when he was 12 months old, people don’t believe me either, but he did. He knew all of his letters by 14 months as well.
You haven’t worked with him at all?
I have worked with mine since 6 months old, to get the results we do now.
Does anyone in your family have a photographic memory? or have a high IQ?
I am not an expert but if you haven’t worked with him on a daily bases or not all then I would say you do have a smart gifted child who enjoys to learn.
I say go for it, teach him/her all that they can take, but have fun, fun, fun, and read, read, read.

And being a homeschool mom/teacher you may want to think about later on homeschooling, that is if your public school system does not have the capability to advance your child when needed. Some of the public schools here do not have the resources to advance a child when needed based on their level, they just let them hang out instead of nuturing their gift allowing the child to reach his/her full potention, something to think about in the future.

Oh and whatever brain food you are feeding him/her kepp it up! :yes: lol

my suggestion is to start recording or documenting your child’s abilities every day, set a routine up if can for educationa, read a book, etc. Also you may want to think about when he/she recognizes a word, and can actually read the word then record it. you maight be amazed at all he/she knows by the end of the month.

Also for a great phonics website when you get to that point, for I also have a 16 month old and we have been doing this for several months now, it is www.dreamenglish.com sorry that is if you speak English, or plan on teaching english.

Thank you so much for your advice. I can’t believe he would be ready to learn to read, but I guess that is the next logical step after letter recognition and phonics. Do you have an opinion or experience with Montessori schools? There is one in our are and I’ve heard the curriculum is more individually determined. I could see how a regular preschool wouldn’t do much good - other than giving him playtime with other children.

Complete sentence at 12 months is AMAZING! Very cool. You must’ve gained some very interesting and unique insights into the workings of an infant mind.

Not intentionally. We’ve read to him a lot since birth - but the goal wasn’t early learning per se… it was more just a fun activity to do together. But, like I said, I think he learned his letters through that leapfrog phonics refrigerator magnet we have. (Yes, I’ve been one upped in parenting by a kitchen appliance. LOL!)

Both my husband and myself were “gifted” students. I had a highy gifted IQ when tested in elementary and junior high… not that you’d ever know it now. I’m pregnant with our second now, and since my son doesn’t sleep much I don’t get to sleep much. That combination of factors have contributed to me feeling very very dumb with pregnancy brain as of late. (Got into the shower with socks on the other day.) But back to the question at hand… aside from myself and my husband, my brother was always a 99th percentile kids too.

I honestly don’t feel confident in my ability to homeschool right now. That could change, of course. I don’t know much about the local school system - but we would absolutely be willing to move to a better school system if necessary. We’re lucky that my husband works at home and could do his job just about anywhere.

Thanks for your suggestions and links to resources!!

Don’t feel bad my kids are 11 months apart so I know what you mean about the sock thing. Don’t worry it will get better. And don’t worry about the frig toy, I love that thing, and I am getting one for my youngest soon.
Keep up the good work…

Thanks for your encouragement! :slight_smile: