Pondering the future (Part 2) - Comments welcome

Dear all,

Sorry to bring this up, but I’ve been weeping over this. 20 kids around ages 6 and 7 killed in a recent school shooting in the US. May their souls rest in peace

Here are some of the links -
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/connecticut-school-shooting--massacre-of-the-innocents-152724827.html.
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/us-shooting--grandparent-gene-rosen-took-in-six-sandy-hook-survivors-who-fled-gunman-adam-lanza-110818960.html

I’m wondering- would homeschooling have prevented this? With the whole world going bonkers, it scares me to send my child even to daycare. Seriously.

Now kid is still very young and hubby believes school is where children learn, so I have some work to do about convincing him in the next few years. But I am seriously thinking about keeping kiddos at home. Please any encouragement or comments? Thank you all.

It is a tragedy that is impossible to comprehend, and it could have happened anywhere, I think, – in the mall, in the park, at the camp…

But on the subject of homeschooling – it is really a very personal choice. I am leaning very heavily towards homeschooling, incorporating different other activities, – ie dance classes, music classes, sports, etc Also I might determine it on child to child and even year to year basis. Our circumstances and even the circumstances around us might be different at different times, so I am leaving it open to decide on those things and to be fluid :yes:

My husband is open to homeschooling, he was home-schooled himself. But he is also realistic, that at times we might have to utilize school system to some extend… I wish I knew the answer to your question, but I think there is no black and white answer there.

I was thinking the same thing. I was actually wondering if this would have happened in a private school and I would guess that these parents wish now that they had done something different so as to prevent this tragic loss. This is crushing to all parents and we have been devastated by it along with everyone else. We shared the names, photos and brief bios about each victim with our children so they would be honored even in their death. Those poor children. Even more sad is the parents, siblings, relatives and friends that are left with their void.

My homeschooled girls will graduate highschool this year and it has been a gift to have them here and to homeschool them. I know my family is the exception, but we have had our children with us almost everyday of their lives, give or take a few days during travel. We work from home and have never had to leave them and we are truly blessed by this. Life goes very fast and upon looking back, I don’t think you would ever regret homeschooling, but perhaps you would regret not homeschooling. I pray you find the answer for your family.

Thank you for your responses, Skylark and Krista. I’ve been pondering over your comments and encouraging words for the past few days. Thanks again.

I will share this link here as well. This is a song my girls wrote in honor of the children that lost their lives at Sandy Hook Elementary, They surprised me with this song on Sunday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBzgxg_A9Kk