Polyglots

Hi aysa,

About languages you don’t speak, it is of course a little bit more difficult and in my view and knowledge it depends of your approach.
I am trying to teach Japanese to my son. A language that I do not speak. Therefore, I am using video as resources so far. However, I don’t expect him to be fluent just with this. My expectation is that in the future, when he have classes, it will help him to learn faster.
To be fluent, the most common options are a school that will provide an immersion in the target language, trips to a place where the target language is used and hiring a nanny that not only can speak the language but will be committed to use only that. I hope this helps you.

Thanks Dear Mario for your answer. :slight_smile:

Your welcome aysa. Anytime you need just ask :smiley:

I have a question!
What is the best way to get the child in exposure of several languages?
how many methods are there for this multilinguism teching way?
Is having one language for each day of the week good? what’s your suggestion?

aysa,

My answer here will be a mix of my opinion with what I read and what I experienced.

Well, the best way is to have a natural environment, such as: you speak to the kid language A, your spouse speak language B, between you and your spouse you use a language C and live in a country with language D. But of course it doesn’t happen to all.

I’ve seen several people here in BK using LR to expose kids to several languages with great results. So, I consider LR a great tool.
What you said is also an approach. You can choose a day of week to immerse the kid in that language and also culture. This is explained in a book called The bilingual edge. I wrote a little bit about this book and another one that I liked very much here: http://www.nnsparents.com/topic/parents-should-only-use-their-mother-tongues-with-their-kids/

hi Mario,
that was a very good idea. I was struggling on how to teach him so many languages(atleast the languages that we know!). I am from india where we have many languageswe speak tamil at home, we live in a state where people speak telugu, hindi is mandatory second language in school and all other subjects are taught in English. I know an extra language Malayalam to speak with my son too. your idea is too good and am sure it will help me…
thanks a lot and karma to you.

I’m glad that I can be helpful to you vanichezhiyan. How old is your kid?

Thank you Mario for take time and answer me, I really appreciate it.

by the way, do you know any website which I can download soundtracks in various languages from?

French, Spanish, Italian, and German mainly

You’re welcome aysa. The best place I know with great quantity of resources is Youtube. I made this playlist sometime ago for French: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyDHmiQ5gDur1S9SipZDLIt_-fPm5piAA
But for other languages I wouldn’t have any recommendation, despite of a series of videos of TroTro, that is available in German (and also in French). I guess you can find also Pocoyo in those languages.

Hello, me again with a new question :biggrin:

how can I immerse my son in one culture(for example french)?

I thought about showing slideshows about that country. what else can I do?