Please share your experience with using the Doman Reading Kit

Dear All,

I have the Doman reading kit and was curious about everyone else’s experiences with it? Did you start off with the kit - or add it later?

Thanks,
Ayesha

That was probably the first thing we bought in terms of teaching reading aids. Very big box!

I think we started this at around 4 months…

Dear KL & All,

Thanks for sharing. Yes - it is a very big box. What is your timeline and methods used for teaching Miss Felicity? Did you start off with the reading kit and make your own cards after you were done with it? Or did you start with making your own cards first and then add the kit? And how long had you used the reading kit before you discovered YBCR?
And with YBCR - did you follow the suggested times for showing each of the videos? The girls get bored! So I show them after breakfast. After lunch, I show the corresponding slide cards and they are hysterically happy. In the evening, after dinner, I will show them the corresponding book with one page showing at a time (by folding the book in half). I do this for one week and move on to the next one.

And did you add the math kit? and any other programs? and of course, you created the prototype of Little Reader and this excellent forum/sites.

Thanks.
Ayesha :slight_smile:

I bought the Doman kit also and found it just didn’t have enough words. However it is s agreat place to start. What I would recommend is using the words in the kit and supplementing with your own words (i.e. family names, favorite items around the house, etc…). I would also add in the other words from Enough Inigo Enough that are not included in the set. Then when you make your phrase cards you can use there and add in silly phrases about your girls and other family members and also the phrases that occur in the book. Same thing for sentences. Then you can start making books about your girls using the words they know.

We mainly stuck to the doman kit for the first few months, adding just a few hand-written cards of our own. Then YBCR came along, which also prompted us to make our own books (open-the-flap style). Then we took it one step further with Powerpoints and an early LR prototype. We tried to stick to a regime (eg., twice a day), and also added the Math kit, but that didn’t get used too much…