Please help... confused

Hi everyone,

I find lots of useful info here and I’m kind of confused. My son is 14 months old and I haven’t really been committed to showing him flash cards and other early learning material regularly. I began the Doman math method of showing the red dots then stopped it abruptly since we had to move.

I read him a lot of story books… he loves lift-the-flap books and enjoys the reading time I spend with him. He is very active and eager to learn.

I am confused and overwhlemed with all this information and the possibilities to teach him. Can you guys please guide me on where to start? I don’t really want to buy software right now but just begin somewhere.

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated. Thank you! :slight_smile:

I would suggest restarting the math cards. I believe math has a shorter/smaller window of opportunity than reading flashcards. Also, you already have the math materials, so that will be less work than starting the reading program. Start the math program and then behind the scenes work on preparing for the reading.

If you have time for 2 items, the second item I would work on after math would be some physical activity. Physical activity doesn’t have to be complicated. It can be as simple as wallking around the block every day. I suggest the physical stuff because the brain depends on the physical body to provide oxygen to it. The more physical your child is, the more oxygen to the brain, the more the brain can learn.

Of course you are doing wonderful; just reading to a child can make a large difference.

Just my opinion.

Right now I am currently doing the math program. Lots of physical stuff such as walking, hanging bar, balance beam and trampoline.

Wow… thanks for the ideas. I am not very eager to restart the math cards because I read that they don’t make much of a difference the kids forget the ability to recognize quantity by looking at it once they grow up. I was wondering if there is some other math program that benefits them in the long run.

What kind of reading program would you suggest? Showing alphabet flashcards maybe? Or words and pictures?

The physical activity sounds good. My son walks and jumps around the whole house! lol :smiley:

Any other ideas?

The math dots are still important, even if your child loses the ability to percieve, they don’t lose the ability to understand. If you child is bored with the dots, try moving on to equations and/or switiching your dots to stickers or other pictures. Remember to be fast!

Reading - there are lots of options, but I still like basic Doman Flashcards.

Physical Stuff - Have you done any brachiation/Hanging bar?
We are using a basic 2x4 on the floor for a balance beam.

Good Luck.

you know what, I never see math onthis way, but I think I will work more math with my kids.

I’ll start the math cards again then… better to do something than nothing… right? :slight_smile:

Where could I find the basic Doman flash cards for words that you mentioned? I also see a ton of flashcards in the free downloads here on brillkids.com. Do you think those would be useful?

Do any of you show the flashcards on the computer screen itself rather than printing them out?

Thanks!

I do use and infact its much more easy as i can always manage easily if its slide shows than print outs. but i aslo use print outs too. the best about slide shows is you can change the order and colours of letters and pics too.

i love slideshows

My girl doesn’t like the dot cards :huh: :huh: :huh:
some advise??