Playing with Poop

My son is 2 1/2 years old and my husband and I are having a problem with him playing with his poop. This occurs when he poops while in his room by himself. I have tried the following cold shower (had to stop showers all together), cold bath but he actually likes that. I will often wait until he poops before putting him down for a nap. But he will often do it during what we call “break time” where he goes and plays by himself.

If there are any chunks that haven’t been rubbed into the carpet we put them in the toilet and reiterate poop goes in the toilet. He is not fully potty trained.

Please help with any suggestions

Thanks

momma2paul

Wow, that’s a hard one. He isn’t the only one. My daughter (28 months) played with her poop once, but luckily she hasn’t done it again. I guess it was a learning experience for her to smell, see, and feel poop. Maybe you could break him of the habit by watching him during all awake time. If he doesn’t have the opportunity to repeat the habit then maybe he will forget about his poop fascination. Do you think it could have anything to do with the potty training? Maybe he feels good about keeping it and touches the poop to confirm that he still has it. My daughter won’t poop in the potty and likes to keep it her diaper. She gets upset whenever we remove her poopy diapers. She even asks to look at it. Yuck! I’ve read something about babies feeling possessive about poop because they think it is a part of their body.

Good Luck, Lori