Play sand???

I’m interested in showing my kids stories using little wooden figures and things. Most of the stories are done in the desert so you need sand in a tub or a draw string bag that opens flat. We went to toysrus and they gave us a bag of gravel and dust, we went to home depot, lowes and a few other local hardware stores and they all had the same thing. I looked online and found Sandtastik sand and while it’s sillica free, some people said it’s sharp and irritated their skin and may not be safe in your lungs. I just found a store that sold the sand from the dunes. We bought six bags thinking we’d use two to fill our container and the rest for a little sand box. Only one 25 lbs bag was enough to fill my container :wub:… This is the sillica report for the sand I just bought. I’m not sure if it’s good or bad: http://sandranch.com/documentation/sillica-content-report/

It’s in the container with a lid on it on a shelf in our livingroom and I’m not sure it’s safe indoors. I’ve been coughing since bringing it home today but I’m the only one coughing so it could all just be in my head.

Any advice? Thanks in advance.

I have no idea to be honest. But we use regular sand from an ocean beach ( the rough kind). From what I know the rougher it is, the safer it is. You do not want to have it very fine for the danger of inhalation. I also spray our send lightly from the water sprayer before play, so it is a little dump, that way it is heavier, funner to play with and there is no danger of dust. We also add some cinnamon to our sand box, which keeps all the bugs away and has a disinfectant effect ( plus it has a pleasant smell :yes: )

Hope it helps somewhat

Thank you. I didn’t know finding good sand would be so hard. :slight_smile:

Well, you could always just spring for some kinetic sand. That stuff won’t go airborne.

:huh:

OMG, PokerDad. I searched the web for Kinetic Sand and saw a video on YouTube. Mind Blown

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50_-zqsgDA4

Haha, I just might get some for myself.

I got the white Sandtastic sand at a Lakeshore Learning store today. It’s nice. I don’t notice any dust but it doesn’t look much like the desert. Maybe that should be the sand the kids play with and the beach sand for stories… That wouldn’t solve my problem of having possible cancer causing dust in the house though.

That Kinetic sand looks fun! I want to play with that too. I wonder if toys sink into it like quicksand?