Planning to Raise a Multilingual Child (as a non-native)

Okay, BK members and EL parents, I need your advice and guidance.

For those of us who do, will or aspire to teach a 2nd (or 3rd) language to our children, what are some things you wish you’d have done beforehand?

It is my goal to raise my children speaking Spanish and to teach them Arabic as a 2nd language from infancy. I have several textbooks and resources for an adult learner that I use and reference. I have recently began building a personal library in Spanish and I’m going to be doing a lot of Spanish self-study until New Years, its my goal to switch to watching the majority of my TV in Spanish by next February.

It has been my dream since I was a little girl to teach my children Spanish and I decided a few years ago that I’d like to raise my children in Spanish. I don’t have a heritage connection to the language, but I was about 4 or 5 when I found out that my mom could speak Spanish (she studied in College) and I begged her to teach me but she never could. I often wished and still do that I could speak Spanish (and other languages) with more fluency so I have decided to do my best to raise my kids to speak Spanish from birth. (My moms Spanish really isn’t that good, but I was adamant that I wanted to learn and when I realized that she couldn’t teach me, I promised that I’d learn Spanish myself and teach my children). It occurred to me that I should begin acquiring some things now.

Here is what I am doing now:
Building a Spanish Library (right now I have about 12 books that span the 2nd-6th grade level, but I’d like to get baby books and adult books too. I want to get Spanish Literature too, not just translations) and I need early readers
Buying a Region-Free DVD player (I would like to start a collection of foreign DVDs
Spanish Scriptures I got a Spanish version of the Quran and I am trying to read it (I can’t understand most of it, in Spanish, but I’d like to read it a few times to get used to the vocabulary
Trying to Speak moreI was in South FL. recently and had the chance to speak (unexpectedly) to some people in Spanish
Spanish speaking toys
???

I know that I can and should do more. Both for my own Spanish abilities and to prepare myself to truly raise a Multilingual child.
Its my goal to buy a minimum of 30 Spanish books a year of various genres and get more media (songs, movies, books, posters, etc) in Spanish. But I still can’t figure out a coherent way to do it. I want to get my Spanish to the level where I could do a full EL routine for 4 years, with each child that I may have, completely in Spanish.

I know that Little Reader isn’t available in Spanish just yet, though I don’t foresee myself using it even if it were. I think that I prefer to make my own lessons and stuff, I could make a Spanish reading program using the Doman method.**

I would greatly appreciate any and all feedback and help hammering out the details of the plan. Some advice and guidance from those who have been there, done that already would be invaluable to me.

–Thanks, mom2bee.
**There was a ‘?’ there, but it was a typo, should’ve been a ‘.’

Hello!

My son is 22 months old and we are raising him bilingual. His second language is English so it gets much easier as there is too much material available. I have to import books and some DVDs but what helped a lot is Netflix. Also, all the time I’m doing EL activities with him is with the English material we talk about here.

From all what I do I think the most important is speaking. We do OPOL, so I only speak English with him when we are at home.

If you want to make your own program with Little Reader it is possible. In my case, I opted to do all in English.

Hello mom2bee,

I love how you are planning ahead, I think it’s amazing! :yes:

I can’t really add to your list. I’m completely bilingual and it was easy teaching my son the 2 languages I know (mostly through reading and talking to him.) In other languages that I’m exposing him to, he will probably never reach fluency in, in his early years.

I wish I had LR right from the start! If you plan on buying any educational program or DVD or whatever, buy Little Reader first. I don’t know if you’ve read the Doman books, but they describe how it’s best to systematically introduce new material, whilst reviewing old material and I can tell you, it gets pretty unorganized and hectic when you’re doing it with traditional flash cards - in Little Reader, you can easily build courses that does exactly that! You’ve spoken about your hopes and dreams for your future children and I know your whole hart is in it, so if you’re going to be doing a ton of Early Learning activities, do yourself a favor and find out more about Little Reader before you rule it out as an option.

Think about how many flash cards you will be creating, how many facts goes along with them, how many times you want to review, how many children might you have… 10,000 x 10 x 20 x 4 = 8 million = give yourself a break and let technology give you a hand.

"I know that Little Reader isn’t available in Spanish just yet, though I don’t forsee myself using it even if it were. I think that I prefer to make my own lessons and stuff, could I make a Spanish reading program using the Doman method?"

MamaofWill put it the best “Think about how many flash cards you will be creating, how many facts goes along with them, how many times you want to review, how many children might you have… 10,000 x 10 x 20 x 4 = 8 million = give yourself a break and let technology give you a hand.”

With my first baby at first I created all my flashcards (a la Doman method) myself, on paper – that would be Math Dots, Reading program and EK – we are talking hundreds in just a few months. It was EXTREMELY difficult, but possible with one baby. When I got two and then three children, I realized how close to impossible would my EL dream for them would be, IF IT WOULD NOT BE FOR LITTLE READER.

It is amazing! Right now the work of creating reading, EK or advance knowledge programs Doman style, that I do for one child, I can use and re-use for all of them. The courses I create in Little Reader, can be adjusted to fit each of my children individually – for example reading words with my baby, couplets with my 2 yo and complicated sentences with my 4 yo, with just a few clicks of adjusting previously prepared course! They can be at different stages of reading - no problem, I am able to create separate profile for each of them and their progress is recorded. I know where I am at with each of my 3 LO without keeping complicated log. I pre-program a review system into the courses I create for them, custom tailored to their needs, again, it would be a total headache to do manually. And to be honest I gave up on it a while ago when I tried. And when I fancy to do games and activities with physical flashcards for that day or week, I still use little reader and print the cards for that day, put them in my reusable flap cards sleeves and have an awesome hands on activity!

We supplement with lots of different materials, and books, but hands down Little Reader is the skeleton and and support system for all our Doman Based EL activities.

Raising multilingual child is exciting, challenging and rewarding. You are giving a great gift to your child and it is so worth it. Our children understand 4 languages and we are considering introducing the 5th in near future.

Hi Mon2bee,

I like speaking other non-natives who share the same amazing dream with you: having a bililngual child!!! :biggrin:

If you have any doubt about Spanish vocabulary, please send me a private message, or perhaps, I am thinking that I am going to write a post where Spanish/ English vocabulary could be written. Every day I have less doubts when speaking my LO. At first, when I began I wondered if I could face up with the problems with my shortcomings in the foreign language, especially as far as babies vocabulary is concerned. After a year, I have realized the amount of babies´ words that I have had to learn. My God! However, I must learn every day. It is an endless but interesting process. :wink:

Hi!!

It’s my first e-mail here…and in this moment is very difficult for me to read all the information online. There are a lot of users connected here!!
I like languages, for that reason I speak Spanish, Catalan, French, a little English and also a little German.

I have 2 little boys: 10 and 9 years old. They have studied English at the School…but with songs, playing or making cookies, going to the theatre… It’s a funny system but they don’t have any idea of verbs…and they have a short vocabulary. I knew that at the beginning of this course because they don’t have English books…when one day I asked them the meaning of “to be” :frowning:
Then, I tried to do a dictation…and my surprise was that my little boy wrote water like this “guater” :frowning: and mother “moder”, and one “uan”… :frowning: He can translate colors, numbers…and he knows the sound of the word, but he don’t know writing…

For that reason, I’m going to learn them more vocabulary with Little Reader and also it’s good for them the Pattern Phonics.
I hope improve their levels soon and practise them minimum 3 days every week.

If someone need help about Spanish Words, let me know by private mail or here in the post.

I would reccomend that you also checkout www.readingbear.com it will teach reading and vocabulary in a very straight forward and systematic way and one that is a lot more aligned to how most older children learn.

LOL mom2bee!

Reading Bear is fantastic, if you don’t worry about the amount of internet it takes (internet is not cheap everywhere in the world.) If I were to use Reading Bear for two months the way I used Little Reader, it would cost the price of Little Reader in internet expenses.

@mom2bee, what would you change about Little Reader to make it into something you see as useful?

Great ideas.

You can download a multi regional dvd player to your computer if that is helpful. There is a link to one at the bottom of my blog. I found Hulu has a great library of kids and adult videos in Spanish, too.

If you want to improve your Spanish to help you in your goal, I recommend Mango Language Software. I haven’t used Rosetta, but many say its better than rosetta. It’s method is very simple and gives you the right repetition to confidently build your conversational spanish. If you are in the US, most libraries are getting a subscription making it free to members of the library.

Also, I love verbling.com. It connects you to people and groups of people that are trying to learn your language so that you can help each other speak each other’s language. They also have classes that vary from beginners to advance. They have them only in English and Spanish, but they connect people who want to learn Chinese with those who speak Chinese too. It cost to join the online classes but you can watch the online classes for free. They also upload the classes once they are over on to youtube, so you can try following along that way. Please use my link as I earn tickets to classes for every person that registers to verbling. It is really an awesome resource and free to register. http://verbling.com/i/64696833645702635388

hope that helps. I know that I need to work on my Spanish if I want to help my little ones. I am trying to sit down for a class once a day just to watch. I am going to work up some courage to take a class as I have earned a few tickets but I am nervous sitting in the class even though the atmosphere is really relaxed and everyone is having a good time. Good luck on your journey, and I have a YouTube playlist of Spanish book read alongs on my blog. http://pushplaylearning.com/push-play-spanish-read-alongs/

Lacy

If ReadingBear isn’t a viable option for the poster, then I suggest she not use it. I recommended reading-bear because of the ages of her sons and because of their abilities (able to write, and read–presumably in Spanish) phonetically. She mentioned that she wanted to improve their vocabulary and that pattern phonics would probably benefit them with reading and spelling. I feel that Reading Bear might be better-suited option for older children and it would be more direct. It also has pictures, videos and sentences to help with meaning and comprehension, but it doesn’t flash across the screen at a high speed.

I didn’t think about the implications of internet usage because I assumed that Spain had enough infrastructure to have decent internet access. But I live in the USA where internet is plentiful and cheap, if Reading-Bear and other online options aren’t viable, then don’t use them just because they are recommended.

Just to set the record straight, I’ve built many courses in Little Reader for my little boy with full sentences that we read through slowly and sit and discuss the images that follow at a slow pace. Both fast and slow are possible in LR, full sentences or short words. In fact, we could probably do a close replica of reading bear using LR, but reading bear (as fantastic as it is) can not do what LR can do.

Not all Spanish speakers live in Spain.

Good Morning,

These two books are very insightful on how to raise bi/multi-lingual children:

http://www.harpercollins.com/browseinside/index.aspx?isbn13=9780061246562

http://www.cambridge.org/us/esl/catalog/subject/project/pricing/isbn/item1113942/?site_locale=en_US

and more are listed here: http://www.multilingualchildren.org/shop.html#refbooks

With regard to Doman materials in Spanish, there are some here: http://www.childandme.com/ideas/teach-your-child/foreign-language/

And a few Doman materials in Arabic are here:
http://www.theclassicalmommy.com/arabicbits.html

However, I would begin with reading the first book listed, to understand the best way to achieve your goals in the most efficient and effective methods possible.

~ Ayesha

My ReadingBear suggestion wasn’t meant as a snub or attack on LR, but she mentioned wanting her boys to learn to write and pattern Phonics so I thought of Reading Bear as a recommendation. Plus, I haven’t seriously considered the idea of using LR with a child older than 5 to be a success simply because it was a flop with various toddlers I’ve tried it on. Thats not to say that it would not or could not work, but I haven’t been able to get LR to ‘click’ with any of the 2-7yos that I’ve tried it on.

Of course, mine is only one opinion and as a single individual I have a very limited view and my experience with young children is mostly ages 2-14, I don’t know infants nearly as well.

Everyone, please be sure and consider all your options and be aware of multiple resources so that you make the most informed decision. :).

To clarify, I don’t view LR as “not useful” I just prefer to create my own materials! I have tried the sample/trial of LR a couple of times and it just isn’t “the thing” for me.
I have read the Doman books on Reading, Math and Encyclopedic Knowledge.

I have actually roughed out a design for my own program a few times, and have even began to consider starting to make it. I adore the possibilities for Little Musician though. I don’t have any confidence in my ability to teach Music in a respectable manner, but I have utter faith in my ability to teach a neurotypical toddler to read, do math, and expose them to scientific facts and knowledge, so it is more appealing to me personally to make my own program. Plus, there are so many great resources out there! I have already began collecting books for my future kids that I’d like to share with them.

@mom2bee, You asked for advice and Arnau i Pau comes and shares her experience of Little Reader with you, as advice for you not as a question. She’s using LR currently and likes it. You tell her to looked at RB “instead” of LR. Why would Arnau i Pau drop LR if she’s benefiting from it.

You say you don’t see LR working with older children (I presume you mean older as in 9 or 10 because of previous discussions) because of your experience with using LR (trail?) with toddlers. - Can you please explain how you came to that conclusion?

You advocate Reading Bear as a good source for English vocabulary, have you even seen the LR library?

You say parents should not rule out their options and make uninformed decisions, but you are ruling out Little Reader as an option and you’re giving me the impression you don’t really know much about it.

I’m hammering on this (and you will probably feel relieved to know this is my absolute last post to this topic) because I truly believe that no Spanish program can possibly meet the potential of what LR Spanish will have to offer! I actually don’t want to fight with you, I wanted to open your eyes. Maybe you had one bad experience with LR then gave up on it altogether and what’s worse, you’re selling this misconception to the new people on the forum. Above all this, I have a bit of an idea of how seriously you take early learning and how big your goals are, you once said “…and lots and lots of facts…” as one of your goals, and you want to “make your own program.” We share these goals I mention here, we just don’t share our views on LR, and personally I think it’s because you don’t know the application all that well.

Salam Mom2bee,

I am joining the conversation a bit late, but here is our experience so far:

We are raising our multilingual son using the same languages you are planning to teach.

As you are planning ahead, I am suggesting homeschooling resources that you may use with a 2y+ toddler:

For Arabic, if you/ your husband are fluent speakers, I recommend http://www.noorart.net/idevaff/idevaffiliate.php?id=173, (it’s an affiliate link :slight_smile: ). It is full of wonderful resources. We are currently using these collections/ curricula:

-Scholastic Arabic Collection: I was crazy enough to buy this: http://www.noorart.com/Scholastic-My-Arabic-Library-Stories-Set-of-208-Books (when it was on sale last December). It covers all the readers, picture books, non-fiction and chapter books for K-6. I LOVE it!

I have been trying to translate the LR files to Arabic, but found that my son just prefers handwritten index card. We can flash them, play with them a la Montessori, etc.

We also use these flashcards cards recommended by Ayesha Nicole: http://www.learningroots.com/new/index.php/shop/quran-learning?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=42&category_id=15

as well as other products from: http://www.learningroots.com/new/

For Spanish, we used YBCR Spanish with a great success last year and since then, we’ve been just reading books and watching Speekee, Whistlefritz, Little Pim… There is board book collection recommended by aangeles you may find here: http://www.memima.com/ It covers the basic vocabulary and my son enjoys it a lot. He doesn’t speak Spanish fluently though, as we don’t practice it enough, but I think he is reading at a 1st grade level. I’ve never taught him Spanish phonics explicitly, but they are so easy to figure out!

Concerning LR, my son likes to watch the French and the Chinese lessons. I would love to get him the Spanish curricula hoping he would like it too. I am a LR fan, I it is the ONLY reading program I used during my baby’s first year and that’s how he learned to read. I would suggest you give a try with your baby, just in case you change your mind :slight_smile:

Thanks mom2bee for your mail…For the moment I’m going to continue with Little Reader, I think that they can learn a lot with this software…but you are right that the slide’s speed is a little slow for them and sometimes they said that it’s a little boring…but they continue playing and learning with it.
Also I’ll try to know another programmes like you said, I think it’s not a problem to use two or three programmes…if they are compatible because the intention is to improve the English level of our kids.

MamaOfwill don’t worry…my intention is to continue all the lessons…now they are doing the lesson 6 and maybe I jump or pass more quickly…but they have 260 lessons to learn a lot.
And we say: “Aprender no ocupa lugar”. I don’t know exactly the translation…but it means that: All you learn it’s important because it’s in your mind and it don’t occupy any place :wink:
I hope you understand the sentence…it’s an expression that we use many times…sure you have the same expression in English too.

And for all of you…yes I’m from Catalonia - Spain. I live in Barcelona :wink: Have a nice day!!

Thats great! I didn’t realize that you were already using LR, when I suggested ReadingBear, but I’m glad that you are having success with LR for your boys! Learning at every age should be fun and rewarding :). Let the BK community know if you’d like any other recommendations for either implementation or programs. There are so many great programs out there and the boards can be very, very helpful!!! :slight_smile:

@A_BC, thanks for the recommendations! I recently began looking at NoorArts website and am wonderfully pleased with all the resources that they have :). I’m going to keep my on the website for news of Sales and Discounts. I have counted up the numerous programs and materials that they have and I have to say that it will quickly get expensive to obtain all the materials that I have my eye on if I’m not super savvy.

Now that my Classes are over until Fall semester, I’m spending this time vamping up my Spanish abilities. I hope that by this time next year, I can begin studying Arabic in earnest. English my native language, but I have studied Arabic (unsuccessfully as a child off and on) and I have studied Spanish off and on for the last 3 years. I would like to reach an intermediate–advanced level in both Arabic and Spanish.

Its my goal to raise my children in Spanish, even though it isn’t my native language and to teach them Arabic from infancy.

Mom2bee,

Yes, they have all what homeschoolers need and it can be very expensive (taking from experience :biggrin: ) If you are a non native speaker, I would highly recommend the ICO Islamic curriculum. It is very comprehensive. There are other Arabic curricula with CDs, that can help a lot as well.

Good morning mummies and daddies!

Yesterday the postwoman brought me the book that some of you had recommended in the forum: “The bilingual edge”. lol lol lol lol lol lol I have read the first ten pages. I think it is a very good tool in order to reinforce our thought about the relevance of raising a bilingual or multilingual child. It is a good way to help us, non-native parents in our teaching. I didn´t know that there was the possibility to download from internet. :frowning: :frowning: The book has a tiny letter. I like reading before sleeping but I hate tiny letter. If you don´t want to spend a penny, download from the web, with Ayesha link http://www.harpercollins.com/browseinside/index.aspx?isbn13=9780061246562. I think that we must have a book that can guide us, and speak about typical doubts as the possibility of a language delay, only a myth,… the mixture of languages, seen as a normal part of the language learning process of bilingual children, and other many topics that you can read in this book.